XP1K 2 AND 4 SEAT BLOWN BELT ISSUES.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Any Ideas on what Polaris is going to do to remedy the Belts blowing up like crazy on the XP1K 4 SEATERS AND THE 2 SEATERS TOO.
we just got to XP1k4 models yesterday in our group and there really concerned about the belt issues they were having at Camp RZR and a lot of people we came across at the drags last weekend, one Family in a 4 seat xp1k
said he blew up 3 belts so far and his buddy blew up a few to. and one camp went through 3 belts in 24 hrs. I know that some of it can be driver error and getting them overheated but jeeez really.
The vendors said that Polaris blew up belts on 9 of the 12 cars multiple times and that was just a demo ride with only 2 passengers. At $200 a piece that adds up quick. :eek:

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
Probably 99% percent of those belts were not broken in properly. I've read a couple of threads on the Razr forum from guys that have the 1000 and already have a hundreds of miles on the stock belt with no problems.

dkiewicz

Space Cadet - UTVUnderground's La Familia
Nov 28, 2009
Hesperia Ca
Probably 99% percent of those belts were not broken in properly. I've read a couple of threads on the Razr forum from guys that have the 1000 and already have a hundreds of miles on the stock belt with no problems.
Ha! Ha! That's the problem. They were "broken in" not conditioned...:D

TREE68

too tall for the rzr
Aug 15, 2011
so cal
i heard clutching can be an issue, but not likely on a stock unit? unless its not set up for sand.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Whats got my friends worried is that Polaris was having all of those Blown up belts on there Factory owned machines and they were not loaded heavy or even riding them hard, who K own how many belts they really Blew up. Maybe Joey will chime in with some helpful insight since he was in there camp at camp RZR for the week and saw what's going on first hand.

Last edited:

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Well I have come across another Family with the 4 seater 1k and he has Blown up 4 belts so far. at $at 200 a piece that makes for some very expensive dune trips. I don't think there will be as many issues on Hard pack trails but the Sand is Killing these things. Were Gonna try some belt blowers on ours and see if that helps out at all on the next trip out.:confused:

dnf736

Retired - And Still UTVUNderground Approved!!!!
Jan 15, 2009
Alpine, CA
Ever notice how few people complain of breaking belts on hard pack? IMO its a combination of the sand and driving styles (HEAT).

We raced all six Lucas Regional races, qualifiers, and practices (thats a lot of laps) on the same belt all season, hit the dunes for Camp RZR and Cody broke 3 belts in 2 days and that was in a 900.

After talking to Cody and analyzing the failures I blame high load (sand), high RPM, heavy right foot, and not giving the belt a cool down period.

I noticed that a majority of peeps that hit the sand drive 100% until they stop for a beverage, then go 100% again. That type of high load heat cycling only shortens the life of the rubberband we put 100+ hp through while pushing 2000+ lbs around as fast as it it will Fing go on a terrain thats difficult to walk through.

Somethings gotta give.

Nate at Alba developed and sells a temp gauge just for the belt, I would be curious to try it and see what kind of temps the belt runs between sand, hard pack, and racing. Ill bet the numbers will tell you a lot about how hard we really are on the belt.

Or you could add one of these

My .02

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
I think alot of it is set up. A stock clutch with a big heavy wheel and tire combo set of for dirt is going to blow belts. And im sure they are flogging they heck out of them up and down the big hills.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Well thats not the case with the Factory Polaris demos blowing there belts up on simple little unloaded test rides and I would think the Factory Team units would be Dialed in. So what's the deal with them blowing the shit out of belts. BUELLER BUELLER BUELLER. HELLO.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Well thats not the case with the Factory Polaris demos blowing there belts up on simple little unloaded test rides and I would think the Factory Team units would be Dialed in. So what's the deal with them blowing the shit out of belts. BUELLER BUELLER BUELLER. HELLO.
They are far from dialed in, especially demo units that are being beat up on by people that dont know how to drive a cvt car in sand. The mavericks had the same issue last year when they came out. A simple clutch kit will fix the issue like it has with all other sxs. loaded or unloaded makes no difference if not set up for dunes.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
They are far from dialed in, especially demo units that are being beat up on by people that dont know how to drive a cvt car in sand. The mavericks had the same issue last year when they came out. A simple clutch kit will fix the issue like it has with all other sxs. loaded or unloaded makes no difference if not set up for dunes.
Well Factory Polaris Demo Rides are Far from even being called a dune test,unless you call riding flat sand a dune ride or the Vagina Highway a dune ride. Climbing sand hills with heavy loads is tuff on belts and the faster you drive the better I think cause your carrying more speed to get up the next hill. People that are just Pussy footing thru the Dunes and Having to floor it up every single hill are gonna kill belts. I try and have enough momentum from one dune to the next so I can lift off the gas at 3/4 way up and pedal it over easy on the top transition . works ok for me.

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Well the Guys we ran with this past weekend blew another belt on the XP1K 4 seater and he was riding alone with no passengers. So he replaced the belt and got another spare just in case the new one blows up. so he is Over $400 deep on belts for the weekend, I dont think most people can afford to spend $400 on belts for every Dune trip. Thats a little crazy. Wait until joe Blow public gets out there and Blows up a bunch of belts there Gonna freek out.:eek:

Interesting, so it was just us editors having problems with the belts at the press intro. I have a question into Polaris regarding this issue, and I'll post something regarding their response when they get back to me. It seemed like only the 4 seaters were having issues out there, but it sounds like the 2 seaters were having issues as well.

Personally, I knew there was a problem with the belts because of other editors telling me about the issue. So I drove my demo 4 seat 1000 easy, and it still blew the belt on me. And when I say "easy", I mean EASY, i.e. driving with the maximum possible amount of momentum throughout the dunes so the belt didn't get the chance to see maximum temps. Let's see what they have to say before I finish up my review of the machine...

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
He Has 5 SXSs, 2 of them now are the XP1K 2 seater and the XP1k 4 seater and he is pissed because he never changed out belts on the XP 900s. now he blows belts like crazy.

Interesting, so it was just us editors having problems with the belts at the press intro. I have a question into Polaris regarding this issue, and I'll post something regarding their response when they get back to me. It seemed like only the 4 seaters were having issues out there, but it sounds like the 2 seaters were having issues as well.

Personally, I knew there was a problem with the belts because of other editors telling me about the issue. So I drove my demo 4 seat 1000 easy, and it still blew the belt on me. And when I say "easy", I mean EASY, i.e. driving with the maximum possible amount of momentum throughout the dunes so the belt didn't get the chance to see maximum temps. Let's see what they have to say before I finish up my review of the machine...

You are obviously not Beholden to Kiss Polaris Ass, Because most Writers are dead silent on the Subject and wont touch this topic. Hopefully Polaris gets a Clue and fixes it since Belts are not cheap .

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
The guys I am prerunning with in Baja have 600 miles so far on the stock belt and the car had no miles when it arrived. With all the sand, silt, and hills I would say its doing pretty good.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think there needs to be something addressed and I believe Polaris is aware and acting.

With that said, my 2 seater has never lost a belt and in the 3 rides I put in on my new 4 seater I never lost a belt.

If you question if I drive hard enough then I direct you to the homepage of UTVUnderground to watch the Camp RZR highlight video.

He Has 5 SXSs, 2 of them now are the XP1K 2 seater and the XP1k 4 seater and he is pissed because he never changed out belts on the XP 900s. now he blows belts like crazy.

You are obviously not Beholden to Kiss Polaris Ass, Because most Writers are dead silent on the Subject and wont touch this topic. Hopefully Polaris gets a Clue and fixes it since Belts are not cheap .
Thank you, and no I'm not here to favor one manufacturer over the other. Editor's, by trade, have to report to their readers and not to the manufacturers. Manufacturers are there to make good vehicles for the public to buy, and we are there to give you unbiased information regarding a particular product. And we'll go to great lengths to ensure that you, our reader's, are getting the most correct information. Hence the reason I have asked not only Polaris, but some of the leading clutch companies in the industry. Another general idea is that the alignment of the clutch components could be off. When my belt tore, it literally shredded the entire thing and almost punctured a seal on the outside of the engine case. This most likely means that the clutch components were not aligned correctly and caused the belt to start shredding. As of note, I was climbing the bowl on the side of Old's hill when it happened, so there could have been added lateral stress on the belt when climbing at an angle if it was already misaligned.

Anyways, I've reached out to see what the issue is, and I'm looking forward to hearing back. Maybe the alignment was just a bit off on these first units. I have a buddy who bought one of the first 4 seat 1000's last week and put 50 hard miles on it this past weekend without any problems. It drove like it was on rails, and that's what we want to hear. No one wants to have issues with a $22k machine, and we want to see every manufacturer excel at making the best machine possible for the consumer. That was a little more than .02, but I hope that helps everyone if they are having issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000