2011 BITD Vegas 2 Reno LIVE COVERAGE UPDATES - Information & News

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Parks Racing 1932 Baja Bobsled race report (Polaris RZR 4):

We came into Vegas to Reno with the points lead and knew that we had to finish this 553 mile race in order to stay in the hunt for the championship. We were fortunate enough to draw the first starting position and thought we would enjoy some clean air, but started catching bikes and quads at race mile 2 and pretty much choked on their dust for the first 100 miles. Doh! We had a clean run and had a nice lead at the half way point in the race. This is when we did the drivers change and my co-driver Jason Spiess and I jumped out and Mark Holz and his co-driver Rob Utendorfer got in. Mark held the lead until he noticed that the battery was losing voltage and at the next pit stop, they stopped and tried to diagnose the problem. They pulled the hood to get more air to rectifier and Mark set off now in second place. Mark and the 1919 car swapped the lead several times (very fun stuff) and the top two Utes were running nose to tail 425 miles into the race and we still hadn't been caught by the Trophy Trucks and unlimited buggies yet. This is when a rear A-arm bolt snapped and tooks us out of contention for the win. Mark had to use his McGyver skills to limp into the next pit by using a screwdriver as an A-arm bolt! We hauled a$$ back to the remote pit (#13) and were able to help Mark patch the car together to get him to a pit with the proper parts and then he was on his way to the finish line. We had a blast racing out front and dicing wtih the Jagged X guys. Without the over three hours of down time, we might have had a shot for the win (who knows), but honestly I am super stoked to finish this race and to get second. Mark and Rob got two hours of sleep Friday night so they could catch an early flight to Washington to race in the WORCS race. Congrats to 1919 on the win (and win streak) and it is pretty cool that Polaris swept the podium 1-2-3. :)

Sponsors:
Holz Racing Products, Walker Evans Wheels and Shocks, Kroyer Racing Engines, Maxxis Tires, Tire Balls, OMF, Pure Polaris Lubricants, Valley Cycle, Utendorfer Graphic Design, Desert West Off Road Race Prep, Muzzy's.

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
Matt, that was definately a blast and I know everyone would have been happy to continue that way to the finish (as long as we still won:D)...always a blast running with you guys for sure!!! Close races are always the best imho.
Mike

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Parks Racing 1932 Baja Bobsled race report (Polaris RZR 4):

We came into Vegas to Reno with the points lead and knew that we had to finish this 553 mile race in order to stay in the hunt for the championship. We were fortunate enough to draw the first starting position and thought we would enjoy some clean air, but started catching bikes and quads at race mile 2 and pretty much choked on their dust for the first 100 miles. Doh! We had a clean run and had a nice lead at the half way point in the race. This is when we did the drivers change and my co-driver Jason Spiess and I jumped out and Mark Holz and his co-driver Rob Utendorfer got in. Mark held the lead until he noticed that the battery was losing voltage and at the next pit stop, they stopped and tried to diagnose the problem. They pulled the hood to get more air to rectifier and Mark set off now in second place. Mark and the 1919 car swapped the lead several times (very fun stuff) and the top two Utes were running nose to tail 425 miles into the race and we still hadn't been caught by the Trophy Trucks and unlimited buggies yet. This is when a rear A-arm bolt snapped and tooks us out of contention for the win. Mark had to use his McGyver skills to limp into the next pit by using a screwdriver as an A-arm bolt! We hauled a$$ back to the remote pit (#13) and were able to help Mark patch the car together to get him to a pit with the proper parts and then he was on his way to the finish line. We had a blast racing out front and dicing wtih the Jagged X guys. Without the over three hours of down time, we might have had a shot for the win (who knows), but honestly I am super stoked to finish this race and to get second. Mark and Rob got two hours of sleep Friday night so they could catch an early flight to Washington to race in the WORCS race. Congrats to 1919 on the win (and win streak) and it is pretty cool that Polaris swept the podium 1-2-3. :)

Sponsors:
Holz Racing Products, Walker Evans Wheels and Shocks, Kroyer Racing Engines, Maxxis Tires, Tire Balls, OMF, Pure Polaris Lubricants, Valley Cycle, Utendorfer Graphic Design, Desert West Off Road Race Prep, Muzzy's.
Hey Matt congrats on the 2nd place. I have to give you and Holz huge credit to be able to compete like you guys have you've got your program figuered out!! But I'm really suprised to hear that you don't carry spare suspension bolts in the car especialy in a race like VTR what's up with that!! :eek:

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Some props not only to Jagged X and Matt Parks here, but to UTV racers in general.
If the UTV's were included in other classes, here's how they would've finished in those other classes...

Class 1000 - 4th......................... (open wheel unlimited suspension, limited engine)
Class 1100 - 4th and 8th............. (open wheel beam suspension, air cooled engine)
Class 1200 - 2nd........................ (pro truck limited production full size)
Class 1400 - 16th....................... (trick trucks) puts them firmly mid-pack of TT's
Class 1500 - 18th and 24th......... (class one type, unlimited all)
Class 1700 - 1st and 2nd............ (Jeepspeeds)
Class 1800 - 1st and 5th............. (safari pre-runners)
Class 2000 - 3rd and 9th............. (1600cc VW engine and suspension)
Class 3000 - 3rd......................... (GM Ecotec short wheelbase minis)
Class 4400 - 1st and 2nd............. (Rock Buggies)
Class 6100 - 2nd......................... (Trophylites)
Class 7200 - 6th and 13th........... (unlimited mini or full size)
Class 8000 - 2nd and 5th............ (production full size)
Class 8100 - 1st and 3rd............. (stock production full size)

As this class matures, it is kicking some serious tail in the desert races. It won't be long before UTV's will be one of the classes to watch for spectators.

Congratulations to all the racers, crews and teams...

Big Guy

Havasu Racer
Jun 16, 2009
lake havasu city
Some props not only to Jagged X and Matt Parks here, but to UTV racers in general.
If the UTV's were included in other classes, here's how they would've finished in those other classes...

Class 1000 - 4th
Class 1100 - 4th and 8th
Class 1200 - 2nd
Class 1400 - 16th (trick trucks) puts them firmly mid-pack of TT's
Class 1500 - 18th and 24th
Class 1700 - 1st and 2nd
Class 1800 - 1st and 5th
Class 2000 - 3rd and 9th
Class 3000 - 3rd
Class 4400 - 1st and 2nd (Rock Buggies)
Class 6100 - 2nd
Class 7200 - 6th and 13th
Class 8000 - 2nd and 5th
Class 8100 - 1st and 3rd

As this class matures, it is kicking some serious tail in the desert races. It won't be long before UTV's will be one of the classes to watch for spectators.

Good bit of information!!!

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Hey Matt congrats on the 2nd place. I have to give you and Holz huge credit to be able to compete like you guys have you've got your program figuered out!! But I'm really suprised to hear that you don't carry spare suspension bolts in the car especialy in a race like VTR what's up with that!! :eek:
Thanks for the text updates during the race JF. Spare bolts? I guess, live and learn, plus when you do break a bolt, it usually causes bigger problems than just a broken bolt. But you are right, it would have made limping back easier. Bigger bolts = :D

**JM**

Jul 1, 2009
So besides the XP, what has been the cause of UTV's getting faster over the last few years?

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
So besides the XP, what has been the cause of UTV's getting faster over the last few years?

If you look at our average speed over the last 5 years, it has been a pretty consistant increase. Not counting mechanical problems.

Basicaly learning curve and better equipment.

Blake

bigtom

Bigtom RZR's Edge Racing - UTVUnderground Approved
Dec 7, 2009
Not to mention that quality build by Jagged x team

Bajaxp

Jan 21, 2010
OC
Nah... it was all that WD-40 they used... must've gotten a side sponsorship from them...
No this is the truth...WD40 = speed.

But seriously the equipment is way better. My RZR 4 is light, the Kroyer motor is fast and the wheelbase is helpful. But I am still down 20 hp to the 1000cc and 900cc cars. Who cares...racing is fun and we are still up there. The Jagged X car is stupid fast, it is prepped really well and Brandon and Co can drive. Plus JXBS is a master at logistics.

Point of reference...we won the 2007 Baja 250 in a Ranger XP (the year it wasn't the SF250 due to land issues) at 31 mph. This year we had OVER three hours of down time and averaged 32 mph. :eek:

Darryl if you go back and look at 1932 and 1919 times for the Silver State 300 (on the BITD site) you will see that we did really well overall also with an average speed of over 40 mph, if memory serves.

The whole Ute class is stepping up their programs. Not necessarily more $$, just picking the right Ute to start with, good builds, prep, testing, smart driving, logistics...etc.

Everyone on this forum should consider racing BITD. It is REALLY fun and great people. :) Come race with us!

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
No this is the truth...WD40 = speed.

But seriously the equipment is way better. My RZR 4 is light, the Kroyer motor is fast and the wheelbase is helpful. But I am still down 20 hp to the 1000cc and 900cc cars. Who cares...racing is fun and we are still up there. The Jagged X car is stupid fast, it is prepped really well and Brandon and Co can drive. Plus JXBS is a master at logistics.

Point of reference...we won the 2007 Baja 250 in a Ranger XP (the year it wasn't the SF250 due to land issues) at 31 mph. This year we had OVER three hours of down time and averaged 32 mph. :eek:

Darryl if you go back and look at 1932 and 1919 times for the Silver State 300 (on the BITD site) you will see that we did really well overall also with an average speed of over 40 mph, if memory serves.

The whole Ute class is stepping up their programs. Not necessarily more $$, just picking the right Ute to start with, good builds, prep, testing, smart driving, logistics...etc.

Everyone on this forum should consider racing BITD. It is REALLY fun and great people. :) Come race with us!
I agree fully Matt, I've seen the average speeds creeping up. At V2R this year, up to the halfway point, you guys were running about 36-37 mph averaqe, then you really stepped it up.

40 mph average this year is great. As I posted earlier, it's amazing to look at where you and Jagged X both would've stood compared to the other classes. UTV's are making their statement on the world.

Both your team and Jagged X, as well as many other teams are really getting their act together. Awesome to watch and as soon as I get some bugs worked outta my car, will be awesome to be a part of...

HDRA1

old buggy dork - UTVUnderground Approved
Sep 3, 2010
Las Vegas nv
i just wish the gator would run like it does when we test come race day it seems to not want to play WAJ :rolleyes:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com

Class 1000 - 4th......................... (open wheel unlimited suspension, limited engine)
Class 1100 - 4th and 8th............. (open wheel beam suspension, air cooled engine)
Class 1200 - 2nd........................ (pro truck limited production full size)
Class 1400 - 16th....................... (trick trucks) puts them firmly mid-pack of TT's
Class 1500 - 18th and 24th......... (class one type, unlimited all)
Class 1700 - 1st and 2nd............ (Jeepspeeds)
Class 1800 - 1st and 5th............. (safari pre-runners)
Class 2000 - 3rd and 9th............. (1600cc VW engine and suspension)
Class 3000 - 3rd......................... (GM Ecotec short wheelbase minis)
Class 4400 - 1st and 2nd............. (Rock Buggies)
Class 6100 - 2nd......................... (Trophylites)
Class 7200 - 6th and 13th........... (unlimited mini or full size)
Class 8000 - 2nd and 5th............ (production full size)
Class 8100 - 1st and 3rd............. (stock production full size)

That is sick!!!!!!!

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
WOW! SOME HATIN GOIN ON @ RACE-DEZERT. I GUESS THEY THINK UTVS ARE GOLFCARTS NOT RACERS. NO MATTER HOW THEY FEEL. WE ARE VERY PROUD OF THE UTV RACERS & HOW WELL THEY DO IN THE DESERT & SHORTCOURSE.
This is the exact reason I dont spend any time on RDC. On a side note, I called a car team out in one of the pits for throwing their trash out the window on the way out of the pits, the awnser they gave was "its only plastic" I ended up picking up the trash for these particular A$$clowns.:mad:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000