2013 BITD VEGAS to RENO

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Well i am glad you have a sense of humor! Beer slushies at the finish of V2R!
What happened at the Rosarito race last weekend?? And what race was it?
It was a small shindig called the Rosarito 200. Actually, it was 4-30 mile loops. No one but locals. It was more an atv course. Rocky and rough. Someone accurately posted it was like a mix between Mike's and the summit (baja lingo)! Only about 25 entrants in the 4 wheeled vehicle category. Mostly 11's, 5/1600, and 1/2-1600's. 4 utes total.

Exploded our STM clutch midway through lap 3. Replaced it, and broke something inside our electric power steering unit that caused the steering to lock up.

Learned a bit more about our ute, and are making adjustment for the V2R.

AND YES! Beer slushies are always a good thing!! I should be out of hiding by then.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
It was a small shindig called the Rosarito 200. Actually, it was 4-30 mile loops. No one but locals. It was more an atv course. Rocky and rough. Someone accurately posted it was like a mix between Mike's and the summit (baja lingo)! Only about 25 entrants in the 4 wheeled vehicle category. Mostly 11's, 5/1600, and 1/2-1600's. 4 utes total.

Exploded our STM clutch midway through lap 3. Replaced it, and broke something inside our electric power steering unit that caused the steering to lock up.

Learned a bit more about our ute, and are making adjustment for the V2R.

AND YES! Beer slushies are always a good thing!! I should be out of hiding by then.
Hmmmmm...Interesting. That sure sounds familiar:(

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Man I kept thinking about getting STM for our car but sounds like they are breaking on everyone... I'm just going to take a extra stock clutch haha

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
Ya not sure I'm not a motor guy but mark does know his stuff and is good at what he does. Mark has helped our team and supported us alot and trust me it is a privilege to have him helping us... I think UTV racing in general is just what it is... Things break it's just finding a way to prolong them befor they break hahaha but u would hope when u pay that much for a clutch setup it would last... I will agree on that!!!

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
On another note we just lost one
Of our co-driver for V2R so I might be pulling double duty unless we can find another co-dog for V2R

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
How much horse power does it take to pull a wheelie like that? Now THAT'S BADASS!!
Stock R1 Motor is a rhino:) It was alot of fun and I miss that car. It also had just a bit of help VIA a roller...heres Video.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I856ObyXTSk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I856ObyXTSk[/ame]

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
Ya not sure I'm not a motor guy but mark does know his stuff and is good at what he does. Mark has helped our team and supported us alot and trust me it is a privilege to have him helping us... I think UTV racing in general is just what it is... Things break it's just finding a way to prolong them befor they break hahaha but u would hope when u pay that much for a clutch setup it would last... I will agree on that!!!
I just talked to STM, they are fixing up my clutches for me in good faith, and they have updated the spider that we had a problem breaking. They know there is an issue with the sxs application even tho they have been running same design on snow mobiles forever without this issue. Looks like we will be running STM clutches with the newer spider at V2R.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I just talked to STM, they are fixing up my clutches for me in good faith, and they have updated the spider that we had a problem breaking. They know there is an issue with the sxs application even tho they have been running same design on snow mobiles forever without this issue. Looks like we will be running STM clutches with the newer spider at V2R.[/QUOTE

Good for you. Did they say what they are changing (design-wise) to avoid future 'mishaps'? 'Cause you know, to enjoy an adult slushee at the finish line, we must both first finish!! HAha!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
We have a 300 mile race this weekend as a prep race for V2R, we will be crunching number on the new car as far as fuel consumption and pit times and driver changes, then back to the garage ( you know the two car garage I stole from my wife when we started our team) for a rear down and full prep... Hopefully any little gremlins will come out this weekend and we can address them and then we will be getting ready for V2R we are excited to run this race and look forward to seeing everyone out there...View attachment 10465

Hopefully, your vulnerabilities will rear their ugly head(s) sooner than later. We found 2 more areas in need of attention at our last shake-down race last weekend. These smaller loop races are awesome for a good shakedown. We've yet to race V2R in a UTV yet, but have done it in class 6 trucks. Worst case scenario is a Gremlin burps out loud shortly after leaving one of the pits at V2R. That's a position-changer for sure!

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
I just talked to STM, they are fixing up my clutches for me in good faith, and they have updated the spider that we had a problem breaking. They know there is an issue with the sxs application even tho they have been running same design on snow mobiles forever without this issue. Looks like we will be running STM clutches with the newer spider at V2R.[/QUOTE

Good for you. Did they say what they are changing (design-wise) to avoid future 'mishaps'? 'Cause you know, to enjoy an adult slushee at the finish line, we must both first finish!! HAha!
STM has been building clutches for use on snowmobiles and such for decades, and have built a great rep. Obviously that technology carries over in design to the UTV stuff, and when the spider broke on a UTV, i can see how it could have easily been analyzed as a fluke deal. There a ton of people with these clutches on UTVs and dont have issues. In desert racing, we are pushing these cars to the limit for a long period of time, hundreds of miles non stop for hours and hours in desert temperatures. This must be where the issue lies because i dont see recreation guys or drag racers having any issue on the UTV stuff. So, STM has built a new spider with some gusseting in the area of the spider that i had an issue with. We will be putting over 500 miles on it in 11 hours non stop if all goes well at Vegas to Reno in 5 weeks. Glad STM is wanting to race proof this product in the desert!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
The spider on the primary is what broke. Hopefully the new one is Bomb Proof.
What broke on the STM? Any pictures? Primary or secondary?
The spider in the primary broke. The piece was never found. A weighted arm also broke. The pic is of that. Based on the rust in the casting break, it appears the arm was cracked prior.

Last edited:

shrive81

Jan 9, 2013
So we only have what like 3 utv's so far? Come in peeps where u at only 4 weeks till start time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000