Handheld Radio on Stereo Speakers?

FamilyGuy

Aug 25, 2011
Good morning, forum.
I hope I'm in the right section.

I have a handheld Rugged radio. I read from someone they got their Stereo speakers hooked up to it, instead of a headset.

Anyone out there done this?
I'd like to know how to do it.

Thanks for your time

Reactions: mearsman

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
For the most part, we suggest that you run the radio through an intercom, where you can output audio to a 3.5mm jack that you can run to your stereo or external speaker. This makes it so that when you receive a radio transmission, the stereo music automatically cuts out to play the radio message, then raises back up when it's done.

However, assuming you have an amp, or some way of boosting the audio out power from the radio to the speakers, you can use this adapter right here (Female 3.5 or Male 3.5) to output the radio audio to a 3.5 mm jack. From there it should be a bit easier to hook your radio up to the stereo system you have. Depending on the stereo system you're plugging it into, you'll probably need a splitter to allow auxiliary input from you music player, as well as the handheld radio, but keep in mind to make sure the radio volume is louder than the music or you wont be able to hear the transmissions over the music volume.

FamilyGuy

Aug 25, 2011
Thank You, rugged. I would like to do the first option. Ideally, I would like it to run like the intercom system, with a push button on my steering wheel, but the sound to come from my my stereo speakers, rather than headset.
Could you please point me to the correct items to purchase from you for this to work, if at all possible.
thank you.

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
So with the setup that I'm going to suggest, the sound will play through the headset and the stereo speakers. That's because you're of course going to need a microphone in order to broadcast over the radio so you'll need a headset. Anyways, first you'll need the intercom, the hub of this project. I suggest the RRP660 as it's full featured and lowest priced of our offroad VOX operated intercoms.
Then you'll need the cable and headset (over-the-head or behind-the-head). x2 if you have a passenger.
This right here is the jumper cable (we have a shorter version if you don't need that much cable between the radio and intercom) that integrates the radio with the intercom.
Then of course the PTT to key the radio.

Now the part that will output the intercom audio to your stereo. CS-MUSIC-REC. This cable plugs into the 6-pin aux port on the back of the intercom. Normally used to output audio to a camera for in car video and audio, but it can be hooked up to a stereo system using the red 3.5 mm plug that comes off of it.

Basically when all this is hooked up, you will want to play your music through the intercom music port. This will then forward the music out the "record" cable to your stereo system. This will allow music to play over the speakers (and through your headset), then when you receive a transmission over the radio, the music will automatically lower so the transmission can be heard over the speakers.

Did that make sense?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000