Is Cory Sappington and the UTVRA relevant?

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I just saw a very negative post on Facebook from Cory Sappington. It was very negative toward one manufacturer and once again shows that he is not promoting Pro UTV racing, just promoting Cory Sappington and Can Am. For years people have called for the ouster of Cory as head of Pro UTV racing in BITD; tech and the only (judge/jury) class representative for you. Is now the time for a change?

So one simple question, WORCs doesn't have UTVRA, SCORE doesn't have UTVRA, so do you think the Best In The Desert (BITD) needs the UTVRA and specifically Cory Sappington?

Please respond with simple 'yes' or 'no.'

Reactions: JoeyD23

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Ok...I will start and vote NO. Hell no. The largest class in BITD needs to grow a set of balls and get rid of the dictator.

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
No! Hell no!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Not a UTV racer, so my opinion is worthless. But I say NO.

If you want to show your balls and make you voices loud and clear to Casey Folks. Don't sign up and race the next BITD Race. Call Casey and let him know as long as Cory and his UTVRA are running the UTV class that you will not show up to the next race. Having 40+ cars not show up will get his attention, and the media's too!

I'm sure the factory backed teams will disagree as their contracts require they show up. But if all the factory supported teams approached their factory reps and explained what's going on and how the UTVRA is actually hurting the classes longevity, and that they should support a 1 race sit out.

But what will happen is the bigger teams that could really make a differance and be heard will show up and race, as today's points are more important then tomorrows future of the class.

chill720

Jul 1, 2011
Johnson City, TN
NO, not at all. My voice isn't as strong as the Factory guys, but living on the East Coast it makes it hard to spend a whole bunch of $$$ to come out and race when there isn't much guidance.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Amarillo6oh

Nov 11, 2012
No. He is biased from what I've seen. He had to tag my engine during tech. This is my 2nd BITD race and I wasn't at silver state, so it had to be done. His statement was "What do you think it is?" I said 975 and he said "I think I caught my first one (cheater)" First of all, he didn't even know what he was teching. How about getting familiar with the vehicles - no matter what manufacturer, if you want to be so official. It was a 900 LOL

Reactions: COGNITO

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think Cory has done some great things but the class has outgrown him and the UTVRA. Time for a change and the change needs to happen now and it needs to be organized. Decisions for next next season and a plan on integrating new platforms needs to be put in place.

This would have been a lot easier if everyone would have supported the ISA a few years ago...

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
As long as Cory is allowed to continue being the tech inspector for BITD, the biggest sanctioning body for production UTV racing, he is very relevant. He's like the high school kid who created an app that Apple is willing to pay millions for. He's done well up to a point, but is now out of his league, and needs to pass the torch off to an entity capable of bringing it to the next level. 3 years ago, the v2r race had 35 less entries than last weekends event. That's an additional 38K in Casey Folks' pocket over the 2012 event, due to the growth of the class. It is incomprehensible to me how he (Casey)is allowing the mayhem of this class to continue under Cory's direction. It is obvious that enough racers have yet to voice their displeasure regarding Cory's "unilateral" rule changes to Casey. For all I know, Casey agrees with the direction (or lack of) this class is heading. It is my guess that the class can shrink much faster than it grew.

Last edited:

rockstarcustomz

RoCkStAr CuStOm MoToRsPoRtS - UTVUnderground Appro
Sep 16, 2009
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I'm not sure exactly what the UTVRA does either. First of all there is not association, i'ts just Cory. I agree that Cory has done great things with UTV racing and I consider him a friend of mine, but we have to get together and save this class or it will fail. Get your surveys in to Bill ASAP.

Reactions: Heybeerman

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I think everyone needs to pull there head out of there ass, with all due respect. First to cognito imagine if I went after you and your company ex your suspension kit how would you handle it. Don't worry I know the answer. Same question to joey d how would you handle if I was trashing utvunderground on how they cover events and topics from Polaris. Same question to matt parks why aren't you racing score when you started the season in jaggy car now its Brandon car in score. You went after cory on his facebook when he made some remark about Polaris kind of crappy. Take a step back and ask how do we make BITD utv class bigger and better. Do you think getting rid of cory is the answer. Ask your self this question do you think casey would give up bitd so easy.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Here was Cory's post for the record that Matt Parks eluded too....

"My good friend Amin, raced Vegas to Reno and 46 miles into the race, while passing another UTV they touched tires sending him barrel rolling 4 times!!! They were ok!!! All the Desert Toyz and Lonestar parts are good but a bunch of Polaris parts broke"

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I think everyone needs to pull there head out of there ass, with all due respect. First to cognito imagine if I went after you and your company ex your suspension kit how would you handle it. Don't worry I know the answer. Same question to joey d how would you handle if I was trashing utvunderground on how they cover events and topics from Polaris. Same question to matt parks why aren't you racing score when you started the season in jaggy car now its Brandon car in score. You went after cory on his facebook when he made some remark about Polaris kind of crappy. Take a step back and ask how do we make BITD utv class bigger and better. Do you think getting rid of cory is the answer. Ask your self this question do you think casey would give up bitd so easy.
Hey it comes with the territory. If I am doing a shitting job then feel free to call it out. I have 2 choices. Ignore you and do whatever the hell I want, or listen and take your feedback and apply it to make my business better. ?

I read Cory's Facebook post the same way many did, he was taking a shot at Polaris and frankly I don't take offense, Cory is able to have an opinion and as a factory Can-Am racer I am sure he wants to waive his factory's flag as often as possible.

The problem with Cory's post is this. Cory's comment further instills everyone's doubt in him, doubt that he is loyal to one brand over another and that this whole conflict of interest surrounding him being Prosecutor, Judge, and Jury as well as being a factory backed racer is in fact a problem. He claims to not play any favorites and his affiliation with one OEM as a paid racer has no bearing on his decisions. OK..

Again, there are many issues we are dealing with this in this class and many surround its "leader" and "self proclaimed godfather of utv racing"! We need a standard on how rules are decided. We need a standard on how rules are enforced. We need a standard on how the class gets to decide their fate, not a fellow competitor. This isn't rocket science. Its so funny when this scenario is explained to people outside the class, 100% of them ask "how the hell is that possible" and "why does the class allow that"...

It is what it is. Cory is a great guy, a fearsome competitor and has done a hell of a job in supporting the class as tech director. But the class has inherently outgrown him as long as he maintains his position as a factory competitor in the same class he wishes to govern. Not sure why we have to have this discussion every year.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I am not a racer but it's fair to say I have tiny bit of experience concerning UTV Racing. My vote is no. I feel like Corey should part of the association but I don't think a 1 man show is good for the longevity of the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JoeyD23 and COGNITO

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Tech on Friday and Photos on Saturday. Sign me up. Hahahaha

Side note. I do not care about his comments. I don't think it was bad. If he made these comments in an official press release, than I can see where people could be upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: facteryfmf

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000