Jumping..... proper technique?

DM310

Mar 26, 2009
Santa Clarita CA
So I took my Teryx out for the first big trip to Dumont for Thanksgiving. Had a blast. Was able to go anywere in the dunes even w/ stock tires as long as I was on the gas and picked a good line. While in the dunes I came across a nice jump that I thought I would try..... well the first time I hit it I got a couple feet of air and thought hell, I need to go faster. The second time I hit it, we got 4 feet of air and almost went a$$ over..... after that I did not what to push my luck anymore. So that brings me to my question, what is the proper technique for jumping utv's? Steady gas, let off or gas it before the jump? thanks

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Dialed in suspension helps:D But mainly I think you Jump itself has alot to do with it

junior quisquis

I AM NOT BLUE - YOU LIFT-YOU LOSE! - UTVUndergroun
Proper jump technique you ask, Well I guess I should throw my $0.02 cents in.

Here is the break down. and this is from a few of years of racing and totalling 3 rhino's and 1 rzr. leading up to a Guinness World Record Jump.

First the utv is not a bike. you cant adjust your weight real qwick in the air and have the utv change direction.

Most if it depends on how the jump is built. If you have a steep lip,long entry ramp, or a short entry ramp its going to be all different. And yes a lot of it comes down to shocks, A steep lip can throw you over, If you ever have been on a motocross track with a UTV then you know that these lips don't work.

If you click here this is what happens when you have steep lips. This is me at .52 seconds. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kjSqfo_1U4]YouTube - huevos 10 crashes[/ame]

On the old elsinore track you had to have some understaning of how the trottle and shocks work together going into the lips. On a super stock i could stay pinned all the time and the shocks would stay stiff and ride right up the lips and float off. No prob.

When I started racing the modified class it was a different story, More power,jumping bigger,and landing harder was in the picture. Now it came to shock setup. you had to mess with compression and rebound and other stuff to get the utv to do what you want after you take off.

I could go on and on but this is one hell of a post.

there are different ways on hitting a jump and really it does come down to shocks. But one thing i can say for sure that worked for me to make a Guinness World Record UTV Jump, is check before you hit the ramp. (let off the gas right before the ramp-not the lip but the ramp. and then hold the gas down to shift the weight and energy moving forward to the rear.

And if all else fails. HOLD THE PETAL TO THE FLOOR AND HANG ON BECAUSE YOUR ABOUT TO MAKE THE BIGGEST JUMP OF YOUR LIFE OR YOUR GOING TO TOTAL A UTV.

And after you total a few of them or you just learn what the utv is going to do in the air. you will do it over and over again.

Dang this was more like the $10.00 version SORRY.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Proper jump technique you ask, Well I guess I should throw my $0.02 cents in.

Here is the break down. and this is from a few of years of racing and totalling 3 rhino's and 1 rzr. leading up to a Guinness World Record Jump.

First the utv is not a bike. you cant adjust your weight real qwick in the air and have the utv change direction.

Most if it depends on how the jump is built. If you have a steep lip,long entry ramp, or a short entry ramp its going to be all different. And yes a lot of it comes down to shocks, A steep lip can throw you over, If you ever have been on a motocross track with a UTV then you know that these lips don't work.

If you click here this is what happens when you have steep lips. This is me at .52 seconds. YouTube - huevos 10 crashes

On the old elsinore track you had to have some understaning of how the trottle and shocks work together going into the lips. On a super stock i could stay pinned all the time and the shocks would stay stiff and ride right up the lips and float off. No prob.

When I started racing the modified class it was a different story, More power,jumping bigger,and landing harder was in the picture. Now it came to shock setup. you had to mess with compression and rebound and other stuff to get the utv to do what you want after you take off.

I could go on and on but this is one hell of a post.

there are different ways on hitting a jump and really it does come down to shocks. But one thing i can say for sure that worked for me to make a Guinness World Record UTV Jump, is check before you hit the ramp. (let off the gas right before the ramp-not the lip but the ramp. and then hold the gas down to shift the weight and energy moving forward to the rear.

And if all else fails. HOLD THE PETAL TO THE FLOOR AND HANG ON BECAUSE YOUR ABOUT TO MAKE THE BIGGEST JUMP OF YOUR LIFE OR YOUR GOING TO TOTAL A UTV.

And after you total a few of them or you just learn what the utv is going to do in the air. you will do it over and over again.

Dang this was more like the $10.00 version SORRY.
Junior is that the same Video that Big Red was in?....Looks like that Jump almost had yo ass mister postman

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
That was Huevos 8 and joey still has my video!!!!

RHINO CRAFT
That video looks crazy!! Like bart Simpson says " Aye Caramba"!!. Yo Daniel, when Joey gives you that video back, thank I can barrow it? LOL! :D Rhino Craft is (was) tha shi-nit!! I got their A-arms Son!

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
here I am busting some air during a photo shoot in Glamis over Halloween....notice how level the car is floating in the air thanks to Magnum Offroad and the awesome weight distribution. I wasnt going super high but it was a pretty long jump in terms of hang time and distance. TONS O FUN!

I would hammer the gas all the way up the take off and off the lip then let off until landing. I wish I had a full sequence but you can see how I landed on all 4's and although I am at full bump I never felt like I was completely bottoming out. Thanks again to awesome planning by Magnum I never once rubbed my fenders or hood even with those monster 13" wide rears and 10" wide fronts! You can however notice how I need to learn to strap in a bit tighter....LOL

fyrfly6

Oct 25, 2009
Salt Lake
That is some sick compression in the middle pick. The magnum held up?!?! I guess that makes my LT decision a little easier.

Nice pics
and thanks for the info!

junior quisquis

I AM NOT BLUE - YOU LIFT-YOU LOSE! - UTVUndergroun
That video looks crazy!! Like bart Simpson says " Aye Caramba"!!. Yo Daniel, when Joey gives you that video back, thank I can barrow it? LOL! :D Rhino Craft is (was) tha shi-nit!! I got their A-arms Son!
RHINOCRAFT/PROCRAFT is the sh*t. I still run their arms on my rhino as well. I wish they were still around I would be building more SxS.

ranchmkt

From The Land Of Avacado's - UTVUnderground Approv
Sep 11, 2009
Fallbrook
That slammed look of Joeys ride looks sweet! makes me want to put on some air bags , slicks and go drifting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000