Laughlin Desert Classic

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
IMHO you should be able to run an aftermarket ecu and eliminate the chinese computer and wiring harness but nothing will ever happen unless Cory wants it. Getting the racers to unite and take control of their class is like herding cats and wont happen either.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Totally agree. But there's one more perspective to consider. There's ALOT of factory money involved in this class. So what do the manufacturers want to see? I believe there's some pressure from the big 2. It's gonna be interesting how things evolve when other brands enter the arena

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Theres a couple at the top of the list..... Burnett,Lambert, Simms, Jones, angal, Guthrie, Murray to name a few. There's some top names and sponsorships in the fastest growing and most competitive class in desert racing. The hype is growing and mad media is doing a great job at promoting it. The UTV championship in February was a huge success! If I'm not ,I stakes, it grew to double the size it was last year. The racing was intense and easy to follow. The turnout reminded me of a Loretta Lyns event. Tons of buzz tons and anticipation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Theres a couple at the top of the list..... Burnett,Lambert, Simms, Jones, angal, Guthrie, Murray to name a few. There's some top names and sponsorships in the fastest growing and most competitive class in desert racing. The hype is growing and mad media is doing a great job at promoting it. The UTV championship in February was a huge success! If I'm not ,I stakes, it grew to double the size it was last year. The racing was intense and easy to follow. The turnout reminded me of a Loretta Lyns event. Tons of buzz tons and anticipation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You mean UTVUnderground.com is doing a great job. lol Mad Media is a huge help however, just don't want people to lose site that UTVUG is the driving force behind Mad Media's UTV involvement.

Last edited:

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Yeah that's what I meant to say. I was mistaken. I thought that utvunderground was under the umbrella of mad media. I just wanted to incorporate everyone who puts all the work into that event. It's the Daytona 500 of utv racing. Great job Joey

Reactions: JoeyD23

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I like Cory, he's a great guy and would give the shirt off of his back to help a fellow racer in need. With that being said, I believe it's a conflict of interest for a fellow racer to tech the competitions cars. It may have been ok when it was a startup class with 5-10 golf carts that had 37HP. But with the class/classes being the biggest draw for any class competing, I believe the tech should be done by the same people who tech the rest of the classes. It'd be like Ken Roczen doing the tech for the 450 riders in supercross. Or Carl Edwards doing it in sprint cup. Honestly it makes no sense.
I've been around different forms of racing since I was 3 weeks old. From sprint car racing to speedway racing to quads, TT Racing, and now desert racing. I'm not a racer myself, however I've seen first hand at the utv world championships how the ecu policing almost cost a team their podium finish.
I've never claimed Cory was a Bad Guy....And I am not even opposed to his crew teching...If you have been to a race this year Cory has had his guys do all the teching.... I am Opposed to him making all the rules.

HeadPorter

Mar 15, 2016
You guys that always come back and resort to bitching about Cory crack me up. Every one of these threads turns to the same thing, "yeah bro, let's unite and take him down, and then we can make the rules!!" Apparently, you all seemed to miss the VERY clear statement that Casey Folks made at the UTVWC at the after meeting for the UTV class..."No Corey, no UTV racing in BITD." Seems pretty black and white to me, I'd suggest stop bitching and go out and race. I've never heard an excuse after a race "Damn, if our ECU was flashed we would have had it." No, it's always issues that cost you time; flats, rollovers, overheating, drive train failures, suspension failures, or just flat running out of talent behind the wheel.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
I don't believe it's a matter of " hey bro lets take down Cory"
It's a matter of lets have a set of unbiased rules. And have the same people tech EVERY class

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
You guys that always come back and resort to bitching about Cory crack me up. Every one of these threads turns to the same thing, "yeah bro, let's unite and take him down, and then we can make the rules!!" Apparently, you all seemed to miss the VERY clear statement that Casey Folks made at the UTVWC at the after meeting for the UTV class..."No Corey, no UTV racing in BITD." Seems pretty black and white to me, I'd suggest stop bitching and go out and race. I've never heard an excuse after a race "Damn, if our ECU was flashed we would have had it." No, it's always issues that cost you time; flats, rollovers, overheating, drive train failures, suspension failures, or just flat running out of talent behind the wheel.
If Cory died today, utv racing will still go on.... even in BITD...

Reactions: Johnny

jakecarver91

Nov 11, 2009
It's a matter of lets have a set of unbiased rules. And have the same people tech EVERY class

Every racer I talk to including myself doesn't care if Cory's crew techs the car, I don't see anyone else stepping up and volunteering to do it. I do however agree that the ECU removal every race needs to stop. Myself along with many others have had Ecu issues because of this. Not saying it's anyone's fault by any means, but the rule needs to change. Why not seal the Ecu and let each racer race the whole season with the same Ecu??? In addition I think sealing the Ecu only hurts the honest racer because the dishonest racer can easily get around it. I personally can't keep my car together with a stock Ecu so I have no desire for more boost, etc.

Reactions: RIGHT SEAT RACER

HeadPorter

Mar 15, 2016
So you're willing to step up and take on what Cory does? Doubt it. People bitch after every race but won't take the initiative to do it themselves. Shit gets old. When I raced quads and dirt modifieds, you know what we called people who constantly bitched about rules and how things were run? "Lappers."

If Cory died today, utv racing will still go on.... even in BITD...
Little far fetched rebuttal, but see it as you wish. If Cory went away, I know Casey doesn't have the time or patience to invest the same time that Cory does, which would inturn put the class in limbo. Casey would then have to appoint a new person to head the UTV classes or 86 it. I'm guessing the latter wouldn't be ruled out. There comes a point in time that things are to much of a pain in the ass regardless of how much revenue it brings in. Constant bitching about the rules and Cory/BITD doesn't help.

The one thing I do agree 100% with, that was already stated is that these ECUs and plugs are not meant to be handled often. The pins/wiring inside the connectors are extremely weak and do not take well to constant handling.

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
So you're willing to step up and take on what Cory does? Doubt it. People bitch after every race but won't take the initiative to do it themselves. Shit gets old. When I raced quads and dirt modifieds, you know what we called people who constantly bitched about rules and how things were run? "Lappers."

Little far fetched rebuttal, but see it as you wish. If Cory went away, I know Casey doesn't have the time or patience to invest the same time that Cory does, which would inturn put the class in limbo. Casey would then have to appoint a new person to head the UTV classes or 86 it. I'm guessing the latter wouldn't be ruled out. There comes a point in time that things are to much of a pain in the ass regardless of how much revenue it brings in. Constant bitching about the rules and Cory/BITD doesn't help.

The one thing I do agree 100% with, that was already stated is that these ECUs and plugs are not meant to be handled often. The pins/wiring inside the connectors are extremely weak and do not take well to constant handling.
LoL. You've lost your mind if you think Casey would get rid of a $50,000 paycheck per race, let alone what polaris does for BITD!

Nonetheless, if bitd got rid of utv racing, utv racing would still go on!

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix

BTW, no one single person should take over Cory's job.

Reactions: JoeyD23

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011

There's a lot of people who would step up to do the tech. But no one has to "step up". There already people who tech every other class. They can do it.

facteryfmf

Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
There's a lot of people who would step up to do the tech. But no one has to "step up". There already people who tech every other class. They can do it.
Pretty sure some of the 200+ volunteers that show up to every race would love the opportunity to get more involved

Reactions: mearsman

RIGHT SEAT RACER

Sep 9, 2015
Prescott valley AZ
The UTV class brings in a large amount of money that is for sure, the class almost has tenure. I don't mind Cory's crew teching the class they do a great job, but simply the computers need to stop coming out of the cars and as Jake said these cars are having a hard enough time not imploding in on themselves as they are. There is no benefit to ECU upgrades outside of Lucas short course.

Last edited:

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona

If you think Casey would turn away the largest class in BITD you have lost your mind.

HeadPorter

Mar 15, 2016
I never said that the UTV classes weren't a cash cow for Casey, but his tone at the UTVWC said it all, in my opinion. Carry on with the usual bitch fest. Lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000