No UTVs in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series

tyler

Parkse5 - UTVUnderground Approved
May 27, 2009
mission viejo
Just got an Email saying no more UTVs in 2012 due to poor entry numbers.:mad: Just had a car finished and now were out! Not even the SR1 class :eek:

El Kido

Aug 29, 2011
Corona, CA
Wow thats weak if you ask me. Generally entries will increase due to popularity....but taking the chance and cutting it completely before word can spread is a little hasty. Someone up there probably has no faith in the UTVs

kennyo15

Paramount Motorsports / Black Rhino - UTVUndergrou
Aug 19, 2009
Alpine, CA
Bad news, Unfortunately it is official, no UTV class at LOORRS for 2012.

Good news, there is still hope for 2013. Thankfully they did not make it permanent.

WE need to do every thing we can to build the class at the regional level and prove to them we will have the car count and spectators to make it a smart business decision to bring us back in 2013.

RHINOdan

RHINOdonkey
Oct 11, 2009
Wow - that's lame! WTF! :mad:
I know there are alot of LOORRS UTV racers here so this thread should be getting busy here shortly.....

s2k1

Feb 27, 2009
Ramona, CA
www.benchmarkperformance.us
Wow thats weak if you ask me. Generally entries will increase due to popularity....but taking the chance and cutting it completely before word can spread is a little hasty. Someone up there probably has no faith in the UTVs
I am seriously disappointed as I have been a part of SxS short racing since 2007 with the CORR series.
However, to play devils advocate, the SxS racer attendance in 2011 was dismal. And, Lucas is trying to put a show together.

What this really means is that the Lucas Regional Series should and WILL grow. There are lot of exciting new Side x Sides that are out or are coming out. I think the future is still bright for SxS racing! Plus we have WORCS and other options as well.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Yes, it does suck.....LOORRS is the big show, and the best of the best race in that series.

BUT....let's take a step back and look at things realistically. First of all, just the fact that LOORRS kept the UTV class when they began in 2009 was a great thing. Alot of us wondered what would happen to us after CORR folded. LOORRS took in the class, and gave us a place to race for the past 3 years. And....look what has happened over that time? Reduced car counts.

4 Unlimiteds last year. 10 SR1s, on a good weekend. Where were all of the racers? Where was everyone that said they would be there, and would be racing? There was a solid core of us who showed up and committed to each and every round - but there were a lot more who came and raced and didn't stick it out - or said they would, and didn't - for whatever the reasons. (before anyone gets defensive - I never said they weren't good reasons.....just that it happened)

LOORRS made a great leap of faith when they added the SR1 class. This shows they are open minded and willing to have the UTVs in the series. This year, they continued to pay out EVERY racer in the Unlimited class, because their payouts go to 5th place. With only 4 racers, you know they lost money with that class. I have known other series that won't even DO a payount with only 4 racers. With the SR1 entries, MAYBE they broke even, or only lost a little with the UTVs....but if they are losing money having a class, and if our track record shows a history of decreasing numbers - what are they supposed to do?

My guess is (and this is just a guess - I didn't talk to anyone), they talked to the racers and heard from everyone who said they WOULD race, and they looked at the history of this class over the past 3 years, and had to make a business decision. It's not really fair to say anything negative about LOORRS for this.....this is because of our lack of numbers.

I don't like this decision, but I'm not going to say anything negative about LOORRS because of it. They made a huge effort to have us be a part of the big show for the past three years - and I appreciate the hell out of that. Look at what doors have opened up for so many of the UTV drivers - Chad George in a truck, Austin Kimbrell in a truck, Jacob Person in a truck, RJ Anderson in a truck (or two haha), and whoever else is going to move up in 2012 because there WAS a UTV class.

Plus, with the Regionals in AZ, CA, UT and now LV, it's not like they are kicking us out in the cold. We have a good, fun, affordable series to race in, still. It's pretty much up to us - again - to participate and race in the regionals and get our numbers up. LOORRS is a HUGE commitment, both financially and time-wise. For you newbies with new cars being built (or just finished - woot!), maybe take this year as a less expensive "practice run" for what LOORRS will require. :)

So....no. You won't hear me badmouth LOORRS for this. Instead I thank them for what they have done for us over the past three years, and I appreciate that they are willing to see how 2012 goes regarding the 2013 season.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Regionals for sure.....Jason and I get to battle it out for once. He's building an SR1 just like mine, so it's GAME ON! haha! :D

Possibly LOORRS in a non-UTV class, if things work out the way they are supposed to. Trying to keep the lid on that jar until things are official, however.

And then.....whatever assorted races we can run the SR1s in that don't conflict with our schedule. I like a variety!

How about you guys, Chris? Are you going to field any cars for the Regionals? Should be a good year with all the new stuff that's been coming out from the OEMs!

kennyo15

Paramount Motorsports / Black Rhino - UTVUndergrou
Aug 19, 2009
Alpine, CA
WOW great post Corry, thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. lol

Seriously though, if it was not LOORRS I would not have met so many of the people I now call Friends, including you and Jason. I would not have even had the opportunity to buy Black Rhino if there was no LOORRS.

So, I say thank you to LOORRS and all their great staff for the past and I look forward to the future.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
super bummed!! UTVUnderground owes a ton to all of the LOORRS racers for helping put us on the map. Unfortunately I cannot say I am surprised. I have been told this was coming down and even though its not a surprise perse its still a shock that it now has become official. UTVUnderground will still support the regionals as much as we can and will still work closely with LOORRS in promoting those regional series.

Thank you to every single racer, team, builder, and LOORRS staff/official for your efforts in the past 3 seasons. It has been a real pleasure to cover the events like we have and we look forward to seeing you all at different venues...

Looks like WORCS just got that much more interesting........

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Good morning,

After extensive phone conversations between myself and many of our current UTV teams, it has been decided that the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series will no longer be running a UTV class at the national series level. This decision comes after much thought regarding the direction of the class. Several factors in the decision included the decline of the Unlimited UTV class throughout the 2011 season as well as the dwindling participant numbers in the SR1 UTV class.

All UTV racers are strongly encouraged to continue racing in any of the Lucas Oil Off Road Regional Series (So Cal, Arizona or Utah). We feel the Regional Series will be a great place for this class to grow. If numbers at the regional level increase significantly, our decision could be re-evaluated for the 2013 season.

While we regret being unable to accommodate a UTV class on a national level, we feel this move is the best for the series and the UTV racers.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Thank you,

Tony Vanillo
Competition Director
Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series

302 N Sheridan St
Corona, CA 92880
951-205-3000

SXS Machine

Importer, wholesaler,
You would have to factor in some change-over of UTV teams to the latest ad greatest race equipment with off the shelf parts etc making it potentially cheaper to race in another category. Also I don't know if Loorrs were going to run ISA rules for this year that would have meant some type of changes for this year so any fiscal spend there would have to be weighed against new equipment in a new racing category.

As everyone said its a shame to loose a category of racing particularly if its your only local racing is who I feel sorry for. Those people also who will have to wear the financial burden of a change of equipment to new racing categories without the benefit of onselling a racecare to a national series.

All the best to Loorrs but I think they may have been able to take advantage of race gaps particularly at the bottom end of SXS racing? a standard vehicle introductory class is not covered yet? so add a rollcage.backbrace to a standard XP and cross welds over thedoors etc and take that on? I havent read the ISA closely but I believe that was a comment in another thread I read. So there may have been an opportunity there to grab what may be the biggest undisovered race category? Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Anyway as I said all the best for their business and all the best to ex-nat. racers in their regional race efforts. :)

tyler

May 27, 2009
mission viejo
I wasn't trying to bag on LOORS just bummed. LOORS has been fun racing for sure and unless you've done it or been there its hard to explane but it is epic! I was suprised about the SR1 class mostly because i thought it was growing.

450grl

Mar 15, 2009
Yeah, me too.....well, hopefully we grow in 2012 and they can take a look at the UTV program for 2013!

Are you gonna race Regionals, Tyler?

tyler

May 27, 2009
mission viejo
Yeah, me too.....well, hopefully we grow in 2012 and they can take a look at the UTV program for 2013!

Are you gonna race Regionals, Tyler?
I am trying (like you) to put a truck deal together! If that happens then i will be running the truck. :D

c&c rhino

UTVUnderground SXS Tech - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 18, 2009
lake elsinore, ca
time for a comeback for local cheap racing on real fun tracks. local promoters take notice and use it. bring back real jumps and tight turns. starting gates and fun full fields of super stocks. and please be smart and just use a cc cap for the streetbike engine class.

DUNE DUMMY 29

OG Sticker Man - UTVUnderground La Familia
Feb 28, 2009
EL CENTRO
www.planetsidexside.com
THIS IS REALLY SAD NEWS BUT NOT UNEXPECTED. LOORRS KEPT THE UTV CLASES LONGER THAN MOST PEOPLE THOUGHT THEY WOULD. THANKS LOORRS FOR SUPPORTING UTVS AS LONG AS THEY DID. THERE WERE SOME GREAT SHOWS.
NOW HOPEFULLY EVERYONE WILL RACE & SPECTATE THE REGIONAL SERIES & BUILD THE UTV CLASSES TO NUMBERS THAT WILL GIVE LOORRS THE OPTION TO HAVE UTVS IN 2013.
I MISS THE DAYS OF M4SX. TOO BAD THEY ARE NOT AROUND TODAY.
AS ALWAYS CORRY YOU NAILED IT. HOPE TO SEE YOU & THE REST OF OUR OLD FRIENDS FROM M4SX THIS YEAR @ SOME REGIONAL RACES.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000