Official 2014 Vegas To Reno Update Thread

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Here are a couple pics I have on my phone. Monster Mav and a couple others.

The winners cranking out a new tire change.

I'm so country... I'm my own damn cousin.
Wow there is something to be learned & seen in this picture. All I can say is someone is learning & thinking outside the UTV box. Good for you guys!

Man I with I had the funds to build a race UTV. I promise it would be mind blowing to the current race UTV. It would not come cheap, but it would take this class to the next level. Then again so was Phluggers new TT which never showed any results, so take it for what its worth. But look at this picture folks!

ROTR

Rock Crawler
Mar 9, 2011
Utah
www.rallyontherocks.com
I am running car #1929 (Wildcat X, the only one running a wildcat) and before the V2R I was in 6th place overall, within 6 points of 4th place. 3 starts and 3 finishes. This is our first year racing and it is basically just me and my 17 year old son.
We really wanted to do V2R and had all the chase trucks and crew ready to go.
Life smacked me upside the head and we had to bail.
I picked the cat because I love to "against the grain" and love the Wildcat suspension and stock tube frame. I still believe the Wildcat is a great base to build on and hope the rumors are true about a 125 hp version due out this fall.
Here's a couple pics of my "pit crew" and co-dawg.

Attachments

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Nope! Look closer, the 1921 car might have one thing thst this car has, but not what caught my eye.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
350K and you can have the #9 TSCO trophy truck, all prep'd.;)
The purchase price is fair, but the long term maintenance and repair costs are prohibitive. Marc doesn't come from a wealthy family. He is a self made man, and the dollars he spends on racing is not necessarily considered "expendable" income. I think with some time under his belt, Marc could be competitive in a TT. He certainly has the talent to handle the power and speeds. Whether or not he can be as consistently fast as a Bryce Menzies or Rob Mac remains to be seen. The fire is still there though. I know he has spoken with Clyde about driving one of the RPM trucks in the past, but prior commitments on both sides always seems to be an issue. I do believe RG has offered him to drive in his Stadium truck series asa well. That's what Marc needs. A big and fast enough race car for his gargantuous ego!

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
It amazes me that Can Am would not be full tilt with MB Motorsports as you have done so much for the Maverick.

If Marc and you want to prove preparation and driver skill wins races, shock the race community and turn a Wildcat into a desert race machine. I bet AC would love to make him deal he can't refuse.

So Class 1 or TT next year for him?
Although Can-am puts a lot into their racing program and support structure, I don't think they are as serious as Polaris when it comes down to UTV racing wins and market share, and the price it takes to get there. Remember, we're having our first good year, while other teams have already delivered for Can-am over the last few years. Just because the support they afford us is less than we think it should be, doesn't mean that they aren't giving it to the other top teams. At this point, it will take a strong offer to have us racing a Maverick next season. (But, we are starting the process of building one just in case. You can't wait until the last minute to build a new chassis, so we are posturing ourselves just in case!)

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I think AC gave up. They had a factory unit w Dragon fire/Todd Romano. Maybe Hans can chime in here and let us know.
It is a shame as the Wildcat has potential. The chasis is pretty solid and suspension is not to bad. The motor seems to be the only thing hold the Wildcat back.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
I am running car #1929 (Wildcat X, the only one running a wildcat) and before the V2R I was in 6th place overall, within 6 points of 4th place. 3 starts and 3 finishes. This is our first year racing and it is basically just me and my 17 year old son.
We really wanted to do V2R and had all the chase trucks and crew ready to go.
Life smacked me upside the head and we had to bail.
I picked the cat because I love to "against the grain" and love the Wildcat suspension and stock tube frame. I still believe the Wildcat is a great base to build on and hope the rumors are true about a 125 hp version due out this fall.
Here's a couple pics of my "pit crew" and co-dawg.
I knew there were a few out there. That is a good start to your first year racing.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Wow there is something to be learned & seen in this picture. All I can say is someone is learning & thinking outside the UTV box. Good for you guys!

Man I with I had the funds to build a race UTV. I promise it would be mind blowing to the current race UTV. It would not come cheap, but it would take this class to the next level. Then again so was Phluggers new TT which never showed any results, so take it for what its worth. But look at this picture folks!
Enlighten me Todd. Besides the front axle sway bar, I'm just seeing a guy changing a tire. 5 tires and 1 belt change though, now that's a lot to do and still win.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Why do we need front steer?
It is necessary (front steer) to achieve acceptable bump and ackerman steering characteristics in long travel suspensions. Another issue is tie rod flex from operating in compression in rear steer, as opposed to tension in front steer. Metal cross sections are almost always their strongest in tension applications. Depending on the cabin lay out, the operating angles on the steering u joints are much less as well.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I think AC gave up. They had a factory unit w Dragon fire/Todd Romano. Maybe Hans can chime in here and let us know.
Dragonfire was not involved with that car. the Arctic Cat has some excellent qualities and I believe we showed that it can be competitive however I don't think Arctic Cat is interested in doing any R&D in desert racing.

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
It is necessary (front steer) to achieve acceptable bump and ackerman steering characteristics in long travel suspensions. Another issue is tie rod flex from operating in compression in rear steer, as opposed to tension in front steer. Metal cross sections are almost always their strongest in tension applications. Depending on the cabin lay out, the operating angles on the steering u joints are much less as well.
Thanks for the educated reply!

goMRgo

Jan 17, 2013
Brea, CA
Which is why you put it on the BAM (front steer) from the beginning right?

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
I'm no engineer but I believe the ackerman on the polaris is good. The bump steer is not perfect but it doesn't warrant re engineering the whole front of the car. IMHO I'd say mark built the car that way to add a HD rack and keep from having to route the rear portion of the upper arm over the tie rod. As far as I know there is no one building a heavy duty rack for the XP1K yet. Also I believe some of the buggy style racks on the market are lighter than a heavy duty OE replacement when they do make a debut with one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000