Official 2014 Vegas To Reno Update Thread

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Which is why you put it on the BAM (front steer) from the beginning right?
For the most part, yes. You know from your experience with the Murray's Bill, that the stock Maverick racks are not ones to rely upon. A lot has to do with my lack of UTV experience coming into the build also. 90% of my fabrication background is with trucks. Only race trucks of old have rear steer. When we decided that the stock rack on the Maverick was inadequate for the modified application and had to be replaced with a beefier one, I decided to go all out and do the conversion.

I'm not saying it is necessary to have a front steer design to be competitive, or that any other teams' rear steer set up sucks. I am saying however, that it is far easier to achieve proper steering geometry with a front steer than it is with a rear steer, and why would one want to spend time and money building anything that is improper if they know better?

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I'm no engineer but I believe the ackerman on the polaris is good. The bump steer is not perfect but it doesn't warrant re engineering the whole front of the car. IMHO I'd say mark built the car that way to add a HD rack and keep from having to route the rear portion of the upper arm over the tie rod. As far as I know there is no one building a heavy duty rack for the XP1K yet. Also I believe some of the buggy style racks on the market are lighter than a heavy duty OE replacement when they do make a debut with one.
You are correct. The ackerman steering on the Polaris' is good. There is really no such thing as bad ackerman, as I can make an argument for either positive or negative ackerman steering. But then again, I can fabricate a sound argument for anything I set my mind to.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
The stock maverick steering system is sub par at best. The stock racks usually wear out in 200-300 miles. I got 400 out of mine before it was sloppy. Then I lawndarted at glamis during the Christmas trip so I was forced to do the front steer conversion. No one makes a heavy duty rack for the Mav that's worth it's weight so I decided to put a billet gear one rack in it. With the help of Reid, without him I couldn't have done it, I now have the 3rd maverick with front steering in it. I absolutely love the feedback in the wheel and the added quickness of steering.

As of late I've really enjoyed and soaked up all if he knowledge that Reid has given me over the last couple of months. Especially the talks in the weeee hours of the morning before the race

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I can say from what I've checked on my XP, the suspension geometry has allot to be desired. The power steering hides allot in the front. How many have actually cycled the rear suspension of the XP900? Lets just say when I did I was not overly impressed. I know you can't move the pivot points when building a race car, but I think you could design an arm to fix some of the camber changes as you cycle the travel. Plus I was surprised with how much scrub there was.

I would be curious how much bump steer the new XP1K has stock?

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
I can say from what I've checked on my XP, the suspension geometry has allot to be desired. The power steering hides allot in the front. How many have actually cycled the rear suspension of the XP900? Lets just say when I did I was not overly impressed. I know you can't move the pivot points when building a race car, but I think you could design an arm to fix some of the camber changes as you cycle the travel. Plus I was surprised with how much scrub there was.

I would be curious how much bump steer the new XP1K has stock?
You should measure front bump steer on can am maverick its twice as bad as the rear of the xp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000