Rugged TERYX4 Install Thread

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
We were lucky enough to get our hands on a TERYX 4 to design and manufacture an intercom and radio mount. We want to give a huge shout out to 66cummins (Kyle) for letting us use his TERYX for the install, without him this wouldn't be possible!

We took some time today trying to figure out the best place to mount the intercom and radio and we're struggling to come up with the best location. The way they have the dash shaped makes it really hard to flush mount the boxes.

It seems we're left with two options. We can either mount them right below the glove box on the passenger side of the UTV or fab up a box that fits right where the cup holders are. The only problem with making a box for that location is that it will eliminate the cup holders.

What do you guys think?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Can you make one that has cup holders on top the goes in the middle. Or and option with or without cup holders.

What about one that takes the place of the glovebox lid? Could always hit up a seat manufacturer to make a soft pouch that mounts under the rear seats to take the place of a glove box.

I have not had my center engine cover out for maintenance but a center radio might be in the way.

66cummins

moab junkie
Dec 4, 2009
We discussed these for awhile today and I think the radios over on the passenger side would be a pain to deal with...Is that cupholder a seperate piece? I never really looked at that.

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
once i set my radio i rarely change anything other than turning it on and off.

i have not removed my center console to see what stays or comes out to service engine.

RZRluvr

La Familia Baby!
Feb 21, 2011
Anaheim,CA
I agree with Mega. Do something where the cupholders are with some type of watertight cover so you can wash the rig without filling the radio up with water:eek:
And forsure relocate the cupholders, either incorperate them into the radio mount or it looks like the area between the shifter and the Oh shiznit bar would be a great place. Drill a couple 3" holes and drop the cupholder inserts in there:D

Team Green

Reid Nordin - UTVUnderground Approved
Jun 30, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.WalkerEvansEnt.com
I agree with Mega. Do something where the cupholders are with some type of watertight cover so you can wash the rig without filling the radio up with water:eek:
And forsure relocate the cupholders, either incorperate them into the radio mount or it looks like the area between the shifter and the Oh shiznit bar would be a great place. Drill a couple 3" holes and drop the cupholder inserts in there:D

Drill holes there and you'll end up putting holes in the intake plenum. Look before you drill!

RuggedRadios

Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
So many options to chose from. Unfortunately, it seems like there's always going to be a downside to whatever place we decide to mount the radio and intercom. If we are able to make a custom dash that fits where the cup holders are and come up with another solution for cup holders, I think that's going to be our best bet.

The other option is to make a faceplate like the one below. Big thanks to Kyle and Reid for the photo.

We're all still trying to decide our best route but should have a decision made by Monday. I have a feeling some cardboard cutouts will give us a better idea. We want something that's going to be super easy to install.

RuggedRadios

Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
We decided on what were doing! We tried a box mount that would go right next to the steering wheel but it didn't work out for us. It's a good spot for it, the only downside is you would hit your knee on it a lot. What our tech guy came up with was a bracket that will hug both the intercom and radio next to each other. You can either mount this below the glove box or under the roof if you have a roof. Not only will it work good for the Teryx but it will also be a good universal mount. We should have pictures of the prototype soon!

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
you could be waiting awhile....:D thanks for posting Rusty, I'll try and get some pics of it mounted in the car.....
No shit. I sent an email two months ago and just last week they replied with a cost of $140 . No picture attached. Then I asked for a picture and approx eta. And have not received anything back yet.

az_amsoil

Amsoil Arizona - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 22, 2009
No shit. I sent an email two months ago and just last week they replied with a cost of $140 . No picture attached. Then I asked for a picture and approx eta. And have not received anything back yet.
Just make it yourself

transcribed by carrier pigeon for Tapatalk

Long Travel Ind.

Human Welding Machine - UTVUnderground Approved
May 31, 2009
anaheim
hey Mike what email are you sending too???? for anyone that has sent an email to us the reply has been the same we will have them avail after the first of the year, as far as pictures we have built a few custom one off's but here is what the production pieces will be is a frame and a couple different face plates a blank one and a few radio intercom /switch/gauge combos......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000