A King of Hammers inspired garage build

cuflipn

KawiCrawler - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
This is my first post on what I think is the BEST forum out there and I am happy to be here thanks JoeyD!!
<o>:p> </o>:p>
I will start by saying that this build was inspired by Jon’s (Crowdog) KOH build that is one sick machine!!! A little about me; I am a mechanical design engineer with a background in heavy equipment design and manufacturing but more resent (last 8 years) I have found myself in the medical field designing micro mechanical devices for surgical procedures to drug delivery. So with that said I have some knowledge and skill but by no means am I as skilled as some of you on here (wow).
Build outline, this isn't a track racer (although that looks like a blast) its really more a rock crawler trail rig. So the chassis will be boated and dove tailed for that all important ground clearance. I am planning on widening it to get my seats as low as I can and stretch my suspension out (6inch long arm with a 3inch forward and back sweep). I will be doing all the work myself in my 2 car garage all basic hand tools but with one secret weapon, Solid Works. LOL
Here are a few pictures of the tear down. I have been working on this for a few weeks already so some of this is history…
I hope you all enjoy I know I am!
Cheers,
Brett

Attachments

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
This is my first post on what I think is the BEST forum out there and I am happy to be here thanks JoeyD!!
I will start by saying that this build was inspired by Jon’s (Crowdog) KOH build that is one sick machine!!! A little about me; I am a mechanical design engineer with a background in heavy equipment design and manufacturing but more resent (last 8 years) I have found myself in the medical field designing micro mechanical devices for surgical procedures to drug delivery. So with that said I have some knowledge and skill but by no means am I as skilled as some of you on here (wow).
Build outline, this isn't a track racer (although that looks like a blast) its really more a rock crawler trail rig. So the chassis will be boated and dove tailed for that all important ground clearance. I am planning on widening it to get my seats as low as I can and stretch my suspension out (6inch long arm with a 3inch forward and back sweep). I will be doing all the work myself in my 2 car garage all basic hand tools but with one secret weapon, Solid Works. LOL
Here are a few pictures of the tear down. I have been working on this for a few weeks already so some of this is history…
I hope you all enjoy I know I am!
Cheers,
Brett

Awesome Brett! Thanks for posting! We cant wait to see you Kawi evolve!!! Keep the pics coming and keep an eye out in the upcoming issue of UTV Off Road Magazine for a special article I did on Jon Crowley's awesome Muzzys/Monster Kawi Teryx!

cuflipn

Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
Check out my build thread. It was inspired by the Crowley Teryx.

http://www.utvunderground.com/f56/my-garage-build-2113.html
Rusty, I have read through your build a couple of times! Great job and I got some great info from your post thank you!!

Awesome Brett! Thanks for posting! We cant wait to see you Kawi evolve!!! Keep the pics coming and keep an eye out in the upcoming issue of UTV Off Road Magazine for a special article I did on Jon Crowley's awesome Muzzys/Monster Kawi Teryx!
Thank you Joey! I am very excited about this build I will be posted pic's as often as I can... I can't tell you enough what a great forum you have here!!

Brett,

Best of luck with your build. Should be fun.

Maybe we can hook up in Moab again to test it out when you are done? Or just bring it down to the Rubicon!

Jon
Jon, I would like that! I have never been on the Rubicon that sounds like a trip that needs to happen!!

Moab is a for sure thing! I also hope to see you at KOH next year.

Brett

cuflipn

Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
Update:

With my tear down complete the design starts...

First recreate the base chassis in Solid Works:
Then consider wheel base and tire size 6 inch long arm with 3 forward sweep and 3 back 32 x 11.50 R 15 Super Swamper TSL SX

Finally the cage design.

You guys should know that I have been working on this so I am just catching you all up LOL I'm doing my best to not drag this out haha

Attachments

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
Nice.

you also might looking into triming that front part of the frame- will get you some more clearance when droping into stuff.

heres an example on how magnum did theirs - but this is a short course bumper.

cuflipn

Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
Nice.

you also might looking into triming that front part of the frame- will get you some more clearance when droping into stuff.

heres an example on how magnum did theirs - but this is a short course bumper.

KJSmith84,

You are so right!! I also really like that front end. I still have some work to do on how much of the original tower I will maintain and how much will be replaced but hey thats the fun part!

Thank you for your input it is appreciated!

Magnum ROCKS!!!!!

Cheers,
Brett

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
Update:

With my tear down complete the design starts...

First recreate the base chassis in Solid Works:
Then consider wheel base and tire size 6 inch long arm with 3 forward sweep and 3 back 32 x 11.50 R 15 Super Swamper TSL SX

Finally the cage design.

You guys should know that I have been working on this so I am just catching you all up LOL I'm doing my best to not drag this out haha
I like the concept. I am not a huge fan of the the double tube for the hoop. I cant wait to see it come to life. I will be watching.

cuflipn

Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
looks great! Thansk for the pics. I think the double hoop will look cool. Whats your plans for the suspension?
Thanks Joey!

My plan is to design and build my own A-arms... This is driven mostly by cash flow as well as I want to do a 3 inch forward sweep and a 3 inch rear sweep. I haven't seen a kit out there that offers this... the most I have found was 2 inch.

Oh and I am planning on running the Fox air-shock 2.0 with 14 inch travel.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Thanks Joey!

My plan is to design and build my own A-arms... This is driven mostly by cash flow as well as I want to do a 3 inch forward sweep and a 3 inch rear sweep. I haven't seen a kit out there that offers this... the most I have found was 2 inch.

Oh and I am planning on running the Fox air-shock 2.0 with 14 inch travel.
Looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project. I think that the magazines should do more articles on buildups like yours, as the majority of the sport segment can't afford high dollar buildups, but garage builds are becoming the popular thing.

Keep the pics coming and let us know how the A-arm project turns out. My Prowler build uses arms I built myself, but prior to building, I did much experimenting with different sweeps. I found that some sweeps work while others don't.
Good project...

cuflipn

Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
Looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project. I think that the magazines should do more articles on buildups like yours, as the majority of the sport segment can't afford high dollar buildups, but garage builds are becoming the popular thing.

Keep the pics coming and let us know how the A-arm project turns out. My Prowler build uses arms I built myself, but prior to building, I did much experimenting with different sweeps. I found that some sweeps work while others don't.
Good project...
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBCARTE%7E1.CAL%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBCARTE%7E1.CAL%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you Darryl, I agree with you on the garage build and mag comment... I really envy those guys who can do the BIG buck builds but at the same time it sure is cool to say that 'I built it' it really makes it original and yours.

I would like to hear about your finding on the sweeps if you care to share? I have a ton of learning to do and I'm not afraid to ask <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt; height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\BCARTE~1.CAL\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://www.utvunderground.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->:D for help.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
<META name=ProgId content=Word.Document><META name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11"><META name=Originator content="Microsoft Word 11"><LINK rel=File-List href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBCARTE%7E1.CAL%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><LINK rel=Edit-Time-Data href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CBCARTE%7E1.CAL%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"> <STYLE> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </STYLE><STYLE> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE>Thank you Darryl, I agree with you on the garage build and mag comment... I really envy those guys who can do the BIG buck builds but at the same time it sure is cool to say that 'I built it' it really makes it original and yours.

I would like to hear about your finding on the sweeps if you care to share? I have a ton of learning to do and I'm not afraid to ask <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock><?xml:namespace prefix = v /><v:shape style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 12pt" id=_x0000_i1025 coordsize = "21600,21600" alt = ""><v:imagedata src = "file:///C:\DOCUME~1\BCARTE~1.CAL\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href = "http://www.utvunderground.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape> :D for help.
What I found on mine (Arctic Cat Prowler), that cycling the suspension through all the range (shock removed, on jackstands) with the axle removed from the hub, but still in place on the diff, I could move the axle to the setbacks and forward sweeps and see what interferences there were. I found that my rear axles could only have an inch to 1.5 inches rear sweep (at +4 inches wider per arm) before the axle would contact the lower A-arm mount, which could cause damage to both the axle and rear diff. Same with the front, going past a couple inches forward sweep (+4 inch wider per arm), I had contact both on the upper and lower A-arm mounts at full extension and compression. I ended up changing the position of the rear diff backwards by 5 inches and building J-arms for the rear suspension, which allowed me to move the wheelbase length out 5 inches while moving the center of balance on the machine to a more neutral position overall.
It's still being built, so I'm not ready to post pics. I want it fully finished and tested before I go bragging about it... :D, I've already found several weak areas on the OEM machine that have required re working (ie: ball joint spindles pulling out of hubs, etc.)

I ended up going through several design changes on the overall machine, trying to come up with an ultimate setup. But it's all worth it in the end. I can see why Dragon Fire Racing built much of their machines from scratch.

Joey, hint hint, UTV Off-Road Magazine needs more garage builds...with the current economy, I can't afford the big-buck builds either.

fundad

Jun 17, 2010
Looks good Brett. I'm interested to find out how it turns out as well and will be watching. Plus 3 on both ends ought to be interesting. Keep the pics coming!

cuflipn

Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
What I found on mine (Arctic Cat Prowler), that cycling the suspension through all the range (shock removed, on jackstands) with the axle removed from the hub, but still in place on the diff, I could move the axle to the setbacks and forward sweeps and see what interferences there were. I found that my rear axles could only have an inch to 1.5 inches rear sweep (at +4 inches wider per arm) before the axle would contact the lower A-arm mount, which could cause damage to both the axle and rear diff. Same with the front, going past a couple inches forward sweep (+4 inch wider per arm), I had contact both on the upper and lower A-arm mounts at full extension and compression. I ended up changing the position of the rear diff backwards by 5 inches and building J-arms for the rear suspension, which allowed me to move the wheelbase length out 5 inches while moving the center of balance on the machine to a more neutral position overall.
It's still being built, so I'm not ready to post pics. I want it fully finished and tested before I go bragging about it... :D, I've already found several weak areas on the OEM machine that have required re working (ie: ball joint spindles pulling out of hubs, etc.)

I ended up going through several design changes on the overall machine, trying to come up with an ultimate setup. But it's all worth it in the end. I can see why Dragon Fire Racing built much of their machines from scratch.

Joey, hint hint, UTV Off-Road Magazine needs more garage builds...with the current economy, I can't afford the big-buck builds either.
Darryl89, Thank you for sharing your experience with A-arms I will keep this in mind.

Looking good Brett. Those tires are HUGE! Got to think about axles/CVs with that much meat. Keep the pics coming.
Jon, thanks! You are so right they are some BIG old meat hooks!! LOL I have given it some thought I have upgraded to Gorilla axles and I am planning on doing a gear reduction (although the gear reduction doesnt off load the axle it will with gas peddle) ... with that said I will still need to be careful.

Looks good Brett. I'm interested to find out how it turns out as well and will be watching. Plus 3 on both ends ought to be interesting. Keep the pics coming!
Thanks Aaron, it will be interesting!! I hope to get a lot of my answers with the simulation in Solid Works i.e. axle angle wheel travel shock placement and any pinch points :D

cuflipn

Feb 16, 2010
St George UT
Update:

Double hoop taking shape, man getting them to match was not easy!! LOL Harness bar is in and front dash tube... I am very pleased with the seat placement 6 inches lower then stock about 5 off the stock chassis :D the double hoops are 49 inch off the top side of the main chassis that will give me about 4 inch clearance from the top of my helmet. Leg room is better then I had hoped for! Having a blast!!!

Next the rear hoop and down tubes.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 people

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000