Homemade Teryx Long Travel

deviant_illusion

go to the UTVUnderground where there is cool SHIAT
Feb 4, 2009
WVC, UT
Ok update. I dint bother checking the size of the front tie rod. I just assumed it was a 12mm like the rhino. Well its not its a 14mm. So I was able to get a 14mm 1.5 thread pitch tap Thursday but Andrew didn't have a chance to turn some new stock for my till Monday witch would be fast even if I was paying him. I just got it all finished up about 30 minutes ago. I tore through some urban stuff in my neighbor hood but nothing really big. I mostly wanted to put some good pressure on the axles with the help of the very gripy street. So far so good with the axles.

Anyways some notes from install:

The rear lower arms fit very tight. Next set I will need to open up the rear jig a c hair.

The front shocks hit the back of the shock mount at full droop. I used a grinder to clear them next set I will use differnt tabs for the front.

The front brake line work ok but not as well as the stock Rhino ones did. If I keep the kit of very long I will replace them.

And last the +3 kit really isn't that wide. Good for some I know but it doesnt have that pissed off look I want.

That's really about it. I haven't adjusted the spring preload yet as I dont own a spanner wrench. The fronts are on the second to lowest setting and the rears are turned low also. Just from blasting through some big rain gutters I think the stock shock will work just fine for the results I was looking for from this kit.

Pic of the front

deviant_illusion

Feb 4, 2009
WVC, UT
Ok sot the good the bad and the ugly.

I will start off with the bad.
Really the only major thing that needs changed is shock mounts. The front I had to grind down the rear of the mount to fit during install and it works good but doesn't look super clean up close.
The rear shock mounts look like the may rub the axle under full bump. Their seams to be a faint rub marks on the paint of the axles. I'm sure this is due to the fact the axles are 1.25" now. I never felt the rear bottom out and the rub marks don't seem to be bad so I'm going to polish the shock some and if that doesn't fix it then I will just move the mount a little.

Now onto how it performed.
My main worry was that the shocks would be to soft. This was not the case for me. The fronts I turned up to max preload and the rears to about 2/3 preload. I will say that it was a pleasant surprise how well the stock base shocks worked for me. While the quality of the suspension travel was not really any different then stock I really could tell there was more suspension travel. For example my teryx loves to buck the ass end when I come out of single dips under speed and hard throttle. It still likes to do this but it is far more controlled. My guess is the added up travel is what is doing the trick. I was able to blast through stuff at 45 that I wouldn't do faster then 30 on stock suspension. The guy riding shotgun with me has spent a lot of seat time in a ranger at work I would watch him cring as I would head into whoops or bumps only for them to be super smooth. He was impressed with how we could run the desert at 45 50 mph with no problems. The thing I love the most was the extra track width. I didn't run my sway bar and it felt awesome to power out of a corner and get that body roll but feel comfortable saying on the throttle. Things like dropping into berms felt much more stable.
The axles held up great and I ran in 4wd about 70% of the time in the dirt. The steering felt like stock but I did notice the turning radius wasn't as tight as stock but that's to be expected going 6" wider.

So other then the stuff listed earlier in this thread the only plans I have to change after testing is the rear shock mounts.

The truth is I'm so happy with this I am going to leave it on and race the Wendover 300 with these arms and axles.

I was in such a rush to get out Friday after work I forgot the video camera but I will make a point to get some video soon.

KJSmith84

Banned Por Vida
Jan 15, 2009
somewhere up my own ...
is it just me or can anyone else not see pics?

ah never mind- I know why- its because the pics are hosted from teryx forums- Brian B has blocked me from seeing anything from his old websites.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
You should definetely do the race and let us know what you think and see if those axles hold up.If you leave it in 4wd it will spread the load out and will be easier on the axles.

deviant_illusion

Feb 4, 2009
WVC, UT
looks awesome...how much toe in do you have on the rear?
I have no idea. It should be the same as stock. Do people like to change the rear toe with new suspensions? My teryx only does 55 on gps but it never felt funny or weird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000