How will the Turbo Maverick affect UTV racing?

Where Class Should The Turbo Maverick Race In?

• Total voters

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
10 H.P. is not enough power to make a stink about. There are far larger advantages that the RZR has over the other 2 (really, just 1) manufacturers. One example is weight bias. Another is clutch diameters and belt lengths. Another, rear trailing arm applications. Need I say more? Besides, there is still too far of a gap between the capabilities of the cars being raced, versus the abilities of the drivers who race them, for modified motors to become a factor (CVT vulnerabilities not withstanding).

I think whoever made the decision to allow turbos to race next season in the pro UTV 1900 class, in stock trim or otherwise, made a bad call. I would question the source if they benefit from it before anyone else has the ability to. One can't argue though, the value of cheap, reliable and accessible horsepower. I also think that hotshot teams like ours or Johnny's drive up the cost of the class, but that's a commentary for another thread.

From what I read here, the class has a lot of close-knit racers who enjoy racing each other, more than they want to win. It seems like the "mom and pop team" mentalities is still abundant here. This class is on the verge of something big, which unfortunately, would not include too many of the small teams currently involved due to cost implications. If more of the big guys would openly share more of what they are doing with the small guys, then the small guys will stand a better chance of survival.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
No but the redesigned rear end will.
And what're you guys with "stock" engines gonna do when they start checking displacement size?
Ill just leave this one alone..... But competition is what makes the sport grow. Excited to see what early 2015 has to offer. At this rate PACE off-road is gonna be out of business
You really think the top polaris teams are cheating?!?! LOL thats a hoot!
Maybe the Sheeple can sleep better now knowing that all engines were teched and no one was cheating!! Or maybe the sheeple will just find something else to whine about.

Reactions: JoeyD23

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
I wonder if SCORE will allow turbos in the Pro UTV class. I think now they don't. I hope they keep it N.A.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I would assume that SCORE will follow suit with BITD. If I was a team who likes to race SCORE like The Murray brothers or Sappington, I would have made some calls before building my Turbo...

Matt, without contacting Roger, who is the contact for UTV rules discussion at SCORE? I always worked with Jake but since he left I don't even know who to reach out too.

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
I am not calling anyone out on cheating, but I will raise a point about wether or not changing the tire size in the ecu is considering re programming or re flashing the ecu/computer. It needs to be clarified wether this is legal or not for a turbo car in the pro class

Reactions: JoeyD23

shane88

Nov 5, 2014
Fr
I am not calling anyone out on cheating, but I will raise a point about wether or not changing the tire size in the ecu is considering re programming or re flashing the ecu/computer. It needs to be clarified wether this is legal or not for a turbo car in the pro class
We are not touching to ecm, it never gets touched nor removed from the car. We simply hook up to the obd port and change the tire size. And from my understanding it changes these parameters in the gauge cluster just like the screen message on a Can-am so its mute point. We would never want to do anything that would be considered cheating, in fact I don't know how anyone could even take pride in racing or winning knowing they are breaking the rules.

Reactions: BLR

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
From what it said in the rules in the oth r thread it said no after market ecu or type of programmer. It said it had to have the stock ecu. So changing tire size using can am dealer would be with in the guide lines of the rules.

shane88

Nov 5, 2014
Also since this is a discussion, I would like to make some valid points and someone think about this.

A factory bore RZR 1000 motor built up by Mark Queen can make 150rwhp. Some other builders are seeing 120-130rwhp. The Rzr clutches are bigger with longer belt to handle higher hp.

A factory turbo Can-am with the factory turbo that can't be change can only support 120rwhp, if you push it beyond that the turbo will not survive. Even if someone did motor mods or aftermarket ecm to a Can-am they are still limited to 120rwhp by the factory turbo.
Also the Can-am clutches are such a small diameter that they can only handle 80+mph for a very short period of time and can barley handle the factory turbo power of 90rwhp as Dustin and myself found out in Laughlin.

So with all these FACTS how can someone argue that the Can-am Turbo has a advantage?

In fact the Rzr 1000 still has a HP advantage and CVT advantage period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Whattha

M1028

May 29, 2012
Sealy, Tx
So you have to run a factory ecu. How do the guys with built engines tune them for more power? I'm guessing fuel and ignition systems are allowed to be altered but you can't touch the ecu?

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Dyno numbers are all smoke and mirrors.....Every engine builder's numbers are all over the map....shits good for bench racing and thats about it.

Reactions: tim07

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Who ever is claiming 150 hp on a built bitd car, should also post what their dyno says on a stock car. My bet is the numbers are within twenty percent.

shane88

Nov 5, 2014
Im just going off Queens numbers that he's posted on Facebook, Ive seen a some he's posted in the 140s and others in the 150s. Last time I checked his stuff seems to prove that his dyno numbers are correct by their results on the race course.

Last edited:

COGNITO

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe queen will post up his dyno numbers of a stock xp1k, then the relation can be made in percentage, of the increase in power. Our car at the wheels makes 12% more power than stock. That is all we want for longevity reasons.

shane88

Nov 5, 2014
Well your making 3 more hp than us..... but the turbo can ams make %40 more torque than the Rzr so that helps a lot, but like Ive said our belts don't like it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000