How will the Turbo Maverick affect UTV racing?

Where Class Should The Turbo Maverick Race In?

• Total voters

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
No but the redesigned rear end will.
And what're you guys with "stock" engines gonna do when they start checking displacement size?

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
No but the redesigned rear end will.
And what're you guys with "stock" engines gonna do when they start checking displacement size?
lol. I don't think anyone is cheating. There isn't too many people out there building their own motors or anything like that.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
Ill just leave this one alone..... But competition is what makes the sport grow. Excited to see what early 2015 has to offer. At this rate PACE off-road is gonna be out of business

dirtguy

May 4, 2013
In the mountains west of Las Vegas
This is a difficult issue in that there is no easy answer. A good case can be made for both sides. I think we need to examine the unintended consequences.

My concern is that this is just going to shorten the life cycle of the race cars. If you do not have the latest machine out you will not be competitive as in there are no provisions to keep current racers competitive. As an example if you built a full blown $60000 Can am turbo racer it would be the top dog for one year until Can am tweaks the ecu for 150 hp but you can't have that because your model was 121 hp from the factory. Would that make you think twice about spending that kind money to go racing?

The popularity and growth of UTV racing is because of its perceived accessibility and affordability.

I don't want to stifle the exciting advances of the industry I would just like to keep the current racers competitive going forward.

Tim

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
This is a difficult issue in that there is no easy answer. A good case can be made for both sides. I think we need to examine the unintended consequences.

My concern is that this is just going to shorten the life cycle of the race cars. If you do not have the latest machine out you will not be competitive as in there are no provisions to keep current racers competitive. As an example if you built a full blown $60000 Can am turbo racer it would be the top dog for one year until Can am tweaks the ecu for 150 hp but you can't have that because your model was 121 hp from the factory. Would that make you think twice about spending that kind money to go racing?

The popularity and growth of UTV racing is because of its perceived accessibility and affordability.

I don't want to stifle the exciting advances of the industry I would just like to keep the current racers competitive going forward.

Tim
Good points Tim, but a well sorted 'older' car can still win championships. Eg I won the BITD championship in 2011 with a RZR 800-4 against RZR XP 900's. Brandon won the 2013 championship in a in RZR XP 900 against the competition that had RZR XP 1000's, Maverick 1000's and Cat 1000's. So it can be done, but I agree that with the rate of development you need a car built in the last few years to be on the podium. One good side benefit of all of the development is that you now can be competitive with a stock engine. This saves $$$. I do wish that people who buy one or two year old race cars would actually race them. They are an economical way for a guy to get into racing, be it Pro or Sportsman. Most good used race UTV's sell for between $15k and $30k.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com

Tim
if you want to be competitive your car is good for about season. if you stay on top of it after that its a through away vehicle all the bugs come and get you. if you don't believe me name the last non manufactured sponsored team that won a bitd race. you are pretty much building a new car every 500 miles.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I just know the IMG boys push their Can-Am's hard. The wheels always fly off. As far as I know, no changes were made to the stub axle.

GOLF CART DORK.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
No changes to the stub outers but the new rear end configuration eliminates the stub axle from having lateral load applied to it due to can am pulling their heads out and lining up the rear differential with the rear hubs

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
Guys the rear stubs are completely different.
They're 3 spline larger, the hub changed, the outers are made from 4340 chromo instead of steel.
it will be possible to upgrade the XRS setup to the new, much stronger XDS outer CV setup.

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
I'll tear mine down Monday and put an XRS outer next to it so you can see the difference.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Thanks for that Alex. It's good to see BRP giving attention to an area that was in desperate need of it. The stubs were just barely below the threshhold of failure by design. The 3 extra splines might be enough to do the trick. Does it use the same wheel bearing and hub nut? Does the manufacturing tolerance for clearance between the splined interface seem any tighter?

Heybeerman

Mar 3, 2011
Morristown, AZ
Kroyer I think Right. Justin. The Motors these Polaris Teams are Racing with are Highly built and Tuned to the Max. So they really don't car about this Turbo motor , But what worries them is the fact that the Turbo Motor can be turned up and really be a threat. Now that there has been enough crying about it they got them to try and Seal them or make it so they cant be modified to make more power so everyone should happy about that now cause there Built Motors still make more power now than the Stock Turbo. Period.

Ba Ha!!!!! You are talking out of your ass!
Hell yes, lets seal all motors!

AReed

Oct 2, 2012
I think it went from 26 to 29 spline, don't hold me to that. Different nut. Not sure about the tolerance as I haven't pulled mine apart yet

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Who's kidding who here. These teams are so worried about a stock Turbo motor that makes a 121 HP really. There not worried at all. There all running built up Polaris motors that make way more power than the Turbo Rotax. I remember Mark Queen claiming a 140 HP and then Polaris builds motors for Jagged x for each individual race. So maybe there needs to be factory stock sealed motors in all of the cars if we're claiming to be all stock. Right.

"There (*they're) all running built up Polaris motors...."

Who is they? lol

You really think Jagged X puts a fresh factory "built" engine in before every race? lol come on lol

As for Kroyer, IMO Kevin is the best engine builder in all of off-road but I think the only one who has any work from Kroyer on their Polaris is Coastal and I am not 100% on that.

At any rate. I haven't heard one Polaris team complain to me about the turbo maverick.

What I'm wondering is who on the Can-Am side is building a turbo for next year? Something tells me Cory is for sure lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000