Marc Burnett's New XP1K progress pics

Bret901

Team South 1922
Apr 4, 2013
Memphis TN
It's a bolt in brace with bearings that ties the primary and secondary together to reduce flexing. Similar to what big motor Harley's run with open primary's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
Hey guys. Yeah, Brett is correct Joey. Adam offers a well designed billet spreader that ties in the trans and crank output shafts to eliminate flexing. I'd love to show pics, but I'm not allowed to play anymore. I can give you a teaser on the front arms that Brian provided for us. Like me, he over complicates things to a fault, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. What it translates to in the end is no stones left unturned. In the two years helping Marc with the Monster Mav, I can say that I've never been as much up against a wall as I am tonight. Calling in my bro for back up.

I am really anxious to show the car off in contingency, but that's unlikely. My advice to anyone wanting to see what the reigning SCORE championship team is bringing to the BITD dinner table, would be to stick around 'til the end of the day Friday 'cause we're coming. We may not be prepared with our A game this race, but I feel plan "B" will suffice. I will say though, that we will no longer be in the slowest car in the field. The time to show off your driving skills is now people. Last season, our slug was a thorn in your side. This season, well, safe to say, were gonna have us some fun!

Attachments

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
They Hawk performance UTV I raced in Baja in 2012 had a spreader like this on it. It was Apex powered with a Polaris transmission and we never any belt or trans issues. Its not rocket science and is a big tranny saver.

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
So ... any updates on why Marc having piss poor start to the season? Or is Popo got that under censorship too? I'd be curious to know what's going on and future plans for improvement.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
after looking at the pictures 100 times and trying to figure it out, the only way the front drive shaft can pull out of the trans output shaft is for the carrier bearing to go out, or shear off the frame, or the engine mounts to break allowing the engine to move about. the front drive shaft slips over the trans output shaft a smidge over 3/4" it would take a good bit of movement, something completely off the charts from normal to make the drive shaft ppull off the trans like that. and at speeds that driveshaft spinning without a drivesahft hoop took the clutch out. it made a big mess and took out alot of high dollar parts. from the way the primary shaft is bent, it likely bent the crank as well. with that kind of projectile coming from the primary, i would suspect the secondary is also murdered and possibly the trans output shaft as well could be bent. i am just trying to figure it all out by the pictures posted just as anyone else was. i dont think this was anything other than a freak mechanical failure, a broken motor mount and/or carrier bearing mount. something had to come apart to allow the engine to slide far back enough to pull the shafts apart. i have seen too many polaris run with great race results to know this isnt just a problem from marcs car. i believe its just a freak accident.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
after looking at the pictures 100 times and trying to figure it out, the only way the front drive shaft can pull out of the trans output shaft is for the carrier bearing to go out, or shear off the frame, or the engine mounts to break allowing the engine to move about. the front drive shaft slips over the trans output shaft a smidge over 3/4" it would take a good bit of movement, something completely off the charts from normal to make the drive shaft ppull off the trans like that. and at speeds that driveshaft spinning without a drivesahft hoop took the clutch out. it made a big mess and took out alot of high dollar parts. from the way the primary shaft is bent, it likely bent the crank as well. with that kind of projectile coming from the primary, i would suspect the secondary is also murdered and possibly the trans output shaft as well could be bent. i am just trying to figure it all out by the pictures posted just as anyone else was. i dont think this was anything other than a freak mechanical failure, a broken motor mount and/or carrier bearing mount. something had to come apart to allow the engine to slide far back enough to pull the shafts apart. i have seen too many polaris run with great race results to know this isnt just a problem from marcs car. i believe its just a freak accident.
are they running alternator off drive shaft still. that would cause carrier to blow up or bolts came off carrier. or they broke motor mount on rear and motor bounced up in back and shaft came out is my guess.

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I will start by saying that I am certain that there is no connection between the alternator and drive pulley installation, and the failure of the drive train, that put us out of the race. As I have made a 4130 front motor mount, and modified the stock rear motor mount, I exclude those items as suspects as well. I believe the failure in the drivetrain at RM 115 of this years SF 250 was a direct result of an un-authorized adjustment that was made to the secondary clutch just prior to the race. We had over 200 successful test miles on the clutch after Adam installed it, and all on the same belt. Then, just days before the race, there was a tension adjustment made to the secondary clutch that Adam was not consulted with, advised us on, or even told about. We then proceeded to go through 3 belts in the first 100 miles of the race. Keep in mind that the clutch we ran was highly proprietary. A one-off STM secondary built to Adams specs, and a very green Team primary without a long track record. I have faith that the two units would have worked well as a system, had we had the time to develop and refine it, through Adams direction of course.
Due to excessive ujoint operating angles and a soft carrier bearing, our first thought after the failure was that the drive shaft slipped off of the rear diff, and went through the cvt cover, causing a catastrophic failure, an explosion if you will, of the clutches. This video I made clearly shows the deflection of the driveline in stock configuration (my alternator, and drive pulley for it were removed):
After further analysis, there was no evidence of any foreign body penetrating the clutch area, but rather the opposite. All fragments we could recover were indicative of an explosion within the cvt area, as opposed to a violation of the cvt area from an outside source. It appears that the clutch experienced a catastrophic failure, and when it exploded, it blew the CVT cover apart, and impacted the drive shaft, forcing it to deflect and slip off of the rear splines.
Adam's reputation, and demand for his services speak for themselves. In my mind, he is cleared, and bears no connection to the failure. We have 100% confidence in the services he provides. In fact, he will be out here in a few short days to offer us more assistance with our clutching needs.
I will conclude by saying that although the soft carrier bearing was not likely the cause of our DNF, it will eventually bite us, and I have addressed the issue since San Felipe. Unfortunatey, I can not give details on my corrective actions regarding the drive shaft (s), but rest assured, it has been addressed.

Attachments

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
So ... any updates on why Marc having piss poor start to the season? Or is Popo got that under censorship too? I'd be curious to know what's going on and future plans for improvement.
Thanks Frankie for the direct question. Like me, I can always count on you not to sugar coat shit. Please understand that censorship is not as responsible for my hiatus as is the time it is taking to start off the season. Note that Marc signed with Polaris just 30 short days before the first of a 12 race commitment. A commitment that mandates we make every event outlined within it. To say I've been busy would be an understatement.
The reason for the piss-poor start is simple. New equipment, and a lack of time to develop it. The Polaris, like the Maverick was 2 years ago, is foreign to me as a designer and prep man, as it is to Marc, as a race car driver. The xp, with its computer controlled 4wd, and "trailing arm" type rear suspension drives totally different than the Can-am did, but Marc is quickly adjusting to it. It's driveline and unique drive shaft layout is still under my study. I am still wrapping my head around the rationale behind their design, which is important when trying to improve upon it. Remember, we spent a full season of DNF's in our rookie year, only to back it up with podiums and a championship the following year. We're truck guys, and are still learning about UTV's. Although, you can expect this learning curve to be a bit sharper than it was in 2013. Make no mistake, we will win race(s) this year. Enough for a championship? I doubt it. But surely enough to keep the nay-sayers off my ass. The hours and effort that both Marc and myself are contributing will pay off sooner than later.
I do need to be reserved in my postings, as I am now being paid for my services, and therefore, own nothing of what I create. I respect the people who are providing me with an income, and now have to act accordingly. Bad for you and me, but good for them! Don't worry, I will still be active in the Underground, just not as maliciously or spiteful as before. Condescending? Maybe. Opinionated, you bet! Which allows this thought............Joey, I think taking on the format of the Race Dezert forum sucks. It seems like I always see old threads up front, and have to look deeper to find the newer ones. I can no longer see a list of threads, and right click on the hits of a specific thread to see the breakdown of posters/members who replied to it. The white back ground is not as easy on the eyes as the old black one was, and the length of each page in any given thread is painstakingly long. Hence the need for the "top" link at the bottom of each page. I assume there may be a "fix" for these changes in the settings menu. But, worse yet, I now somehow feel like Pistol is my neighbor . Makes me want to move to another neighborhood! None the less, you are still fighting the good fight, and giving us (MB Motorsports) a lot of love along the way. Thanks for it! Truth be told, I do visit and post to the site less than I would if it were still in the old format. Change sucks, but is inevitable I guess.

Reactions: Kalop

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000