New law requiring helmets in california

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Thats a very interesting idea. How would a a guy even go about doing such a thing? Not that I think it would fly because the government will do this whether the people like it or not, but it is the best idea I've seen floated though here.

emgee00

Jun 7, 2012
Yep it just passed. I heard that in goes into effect in January. Helmets will be required in off highway vehicles. Also rear addon on seats that are very common are now officially illegal unless designed by the manufacturer of the ohv.

The Law can be found here.

Thanks you commie legislators in California. First you steal the off road money, now you want to Impose more crap laws.
Read how the law was changed to see the government at work.The law was introduced by a Republican as a tax reduction measure.

http://legiscan.com/gaits/text/620928
This is unique; the link that 07turbo posted does not have Section 500 (e) which states the 1000cc and under definition that is in Familyman's link?!?

I confoosed.....

Confusius say: man who go to bed with itchy behind wake up with stinky finger.

warlock

Wanna Go Fast? - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 23, 2009
az
Well I think if Some big money group filed an Injunction to stop the law from going forward until a study has been done to show there is a need for the helmets and there supposed safety in a SXS. it might work to buy more time.

Glamisfan

Oct 26, 2009
imperial valley
I shake my head every time I read all the negativity towards the helmet law. Offloading is a dangerous sport. You could be injured or killed! What were doing is the same thing as any off-road race car. All off-road race cars are required to wear helmets, so why shouldn't we be. This law will save lives, and that will help keep our sport growing, instead of getting sued out of existence! I bought a pumper helmet in 2007, I do not like to ride unless I can wear my helmet with my pumper! Just man up and embrace this to keep your family safe!

Dunecrusher

Dunecrusher
May 14, 2012
Oak hills CA
I shake my head every time I read all the negativity towards the helmet law. Offloading is a dangerous sport. You could be injured or killed! What were doing is the same thing as any off-road race car. All off-road race cars are required to wear helmets, so why shouldn't we be. This law will save lives, and that will help keep our sport growing, instead of getting sued out of existence! I bought a pumper helmet in 2007, I do not like to ride unless I can wear my helmet with my pumper! Just man up and embrace this to keep your family safe!
Why don't you man up and stop just accepting everything that is shouved down your throat by a bunch of ignorant ass polititions.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I think the Helmet thing is a good law. My family was going to be wearing helmets regardless this season. It's no different than seat belts, car seats or any other law.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
Driving is a car is statistically one of the most dangerous activities a person can take part in. Do you know how many lives could be saved if helmets were required for automobiles? Lets not forget go carts, and playing golf, and riding horses and ........ Onceyou let government in the door there is no stopping it, as seen in this case. The helmet crusade started with motorcycles and now look at it.

The problem is that they're taking away the choice. A guy out prospecting or picking up trash doesn't need a helmet but he may want to and that should be his choice, not the governments. I use a Ranger Crew, not exactly your offroad racer, but they've taken that choice away from me. If you want to, you should but nobody should be able to force you too. Think of it this way, you want to wear a helmet, it's as crazy as someone telling you that you aren't allowed to wear one. It's not about the helmet, it's about a government that's over reaching and uncontrollable.

Last edited:

desertwheeler

Extra Crispy
Oct 25, 2011
Barstow
Not everybody is going out and racing and doing stupid stuff. I for one would want the choice for when I go hunting or cruising to not wear it and when I go duneing or desert riding wear it. Come on some states it's still optional to wear helmets at all wether on or offroad they make it the operators choice. I don't think we should have to man up and take this law forced down our throats. We should man up and fight it!

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Driving is a car is statistically one of the most dangerous activities a person can take part in. Do you know how many lives could be saved if helmets were required for automobiles? Lets not forget go carts, and playing golf, and riding horses and ........ Onceyou let government in the door there is no stopping it, as seen in this case. The helmet crusade started with motorcycles and now look at it.

Since driving cars on the road is very dangerous and headinjuries are a major issue in car crashes we should be requiring all drivers and passengers of passenger vehicles to wear a Helmets. Bet that would be well recieved.:eek:

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
That's fine you feel that it is better for someone to tell you how to live. For me I can make my own decisions as to what I feel is safe and appropriate for the situation. I understand racers are mandated to wear them but I don't drive like a race car driver when with my family (see how I made the decision for what I feel is safe). Also the way you are so quick to force your "safety" on me would leave me to think that you believe I should stop as soon as I turn my truck off the pavement and put on my helmet to find a camp spot. After all I am in the dirt now and it very dangerous. Your mentality is very dangerous to society that would prefer liberty over communism. Also I have yet to have anyone provide proof that the helmets make you safer in your SxS. Can you?

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield

Since driving cars on the road is very dangerous and headinjuries are a major issue in car crashes we should be requiring all drivers and passengers of passenger vehicles to wear a Helmets. Bet that would be well recieved.:eek:
If anyone is for some reason under the illusion that this day isn't coming, please let me be the one to fill you in. It's well within the order of whats happening for helmets to be required in automobiles. It'll start with those who carry provisional licenses and move its way up to everyone. I honestly think it could happen within my lifetime. The auto insurance companies will be the first to champion this cause. Then groups like AAA, and who could be against 'safety'? "Just think of the children's lives it'll save!!" they'll cry. There will be those who say it's statistically safer to drive a NASCAR and they have to wear helmets so why shouldn't everyone? And you won't be able to do a damn thing about it because it's already too late.

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
The fact is government could care less about the people. This law has nothing to do with safety for the people out there. The law is put in place to give lawyers some ammo when fighting lawsuits.

For whatever reason people that get into car crashes don't sue major car manufacturers, citys, or states, because they didn't require helmets, but the same people getting hurt off-roading would sue everyone if they were not told how to dress for off-roading. So until that changes we will not see a helmet law in your everyday car.

IMO this law is so government can say "We did everything possible" in a lawsuit and that is just the world we live in.

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
Let me ask the question or better yet questions? Why would you all sit idly by and wait to see all these helmet laws go into effect (I.e. in a car)? Why would you continue to make excuses for the behavior of ELECTED officials, by saying this is just how it is? Why not get involved in your vote and voice concern when these things happen? If everyone held these elected officials to a standard that they work for us the people not for themselves then things could and would change quickly. Not following through with your vote and having the mentality "set it and forget it" with your political vote is exactly why we have the laws we do and a state and federal government that is insolvent. I for one am tired of hearing compromise and bitching with out taking it to the politicians!

I am off my soap box now.

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
And a fine soapbox you stand on, your points are valid and indisputable. I guess my answers, certainly not arguments are these.

Because I have a job, a family and a home to see to among other things. My voice is among the vocal minority, likely not the minority in thought, like minded people also simply don't have the free time, nor do we wish to spent the free time we do have fighting the government. I vote in a way that reflects my mentality but clearly, I'm in the minority.

The world is full of people who would support this legislation, other like it and the politicians who that sign it into law. They may be ignorant (not derogatory), think that mandatory whatever is good or it simply doesn't affect them so they don't sweat it. These people are the majority, clearly.

I will not spend too much of my free time fighting government in this state because I will not win, the motorcycle crowd fought the helmet law with fervor I haven't seen since then and where did it get them? Nowhere.

I do believe that the pendulum will swing back at some point, but it will be many years. We are the minority here and until they do something like a helmet law in cars it will not change. I know, it's a defeatist attitude, but thats the reality from where I stand. This legislation was 100% Republican backed, who you gonna vote for to stop this train? Until the Republican party falls and the Libertarians are the other party option we will have no options in California.

Wow that was long!

Slacker

La Familia
Apr 1, 2012
Bakersfield
For whatever reason people that get into car crashes don't sue major car manufacturers, citys, or states, because they didn't require helmets, but the same people getting hurt off-roading would sue everyone if they were not told how to dress for off-roading. So until that changes we will not see a helmet law in your everyday car.

IMO this law is so government can say "We did everything possible" in a lawsuit and that is just the world we live in.
Hi Bryan, I think the push will come from the insurance companies. They pay out huge dollars on car accidents. They have massive influence with the NTSB and have contribute a lot to the manufacturing requirements and government safety standards. Glad to hear you got your Commander road worthy after all the headache:)

warlock

Jan 23, 2009
az
Everyone here take NOTE. Its called MARXIST GRADUALISM!

The Government takes one freedom away at a time and over time we never see the Pile of Freedom disapearing until its all gone and replaced by Laws of NO.:eek:

Flyingbryan

Jun 23, 2011
Thanks Chris, look forward to getting out with everyone on a ride.

Just wish we didn't have a law that everyone will be wearing a helmet when driving 5 MPH down a trail.

tkrhino

Apr 23, 2012
And a fine soapbox you stand on, your points are valid and indisputable. I guess my answers, certainly not arguments are these.

Because I have a job, a family and a home to see to among other things. My voice is among the vocal minority, likely not the minority in thought, like minded people also simply don't have the free time, nor do we wish to spent the free time we do have fighting the government. I vote in a way that reflects my mentality but clearly, I'm in the minority.

The world is full of people who would support this legislation, other like it and the politicians who that sign it into law. They may be ignorant (not derogatory), think that mandatory whatever is good or it simply doesn't affect them so they don't sweat it. These people are the majority, clearly.

I will not spend too much of my free time fighting government in this state because I will not win, the motorcycle crowd fought the helmet law with fervor I haven't seen since then and where did it get them? Nowhere.

I do believe that the pendulum will swing back at some point, but it will be many years. We are the minority here and until they do something like a helmet law in cars it will not change. I know, it's a defeatist attitude, but thats the reality from where I stand. This legislation was 100% Republican backed, who you gonna vote for to stop this train? Until the Republican party falls and the Libertarians are the other party option we will have no options in California.

Wow that was long!
I to have a family, home, and career. But I see it this way, if we sit back and invest no time to hold our politicians to the reasons they were put there, our kids will be left with nothing. I just want to know I fought to bring back and maintain as much liberty for them as I could. If I do nothing than I should expect to loose my freedoms and I have no right to complain. I don't want to spend free time or trying to find free time to be involved but it has to be done. This is the only way the pendulum can swing the other way. As the saying goes "the people get the government they deserve, and they should get it hard".

As far as AB1595 being republican backed is absurd. It was Cook and ROHVA backed. It was voted with no opposition due to Cook lying to his fellow politicians. This was evident when the phone calls poured into all the offices across the state. Plus had he felt and his fellow republicans felt what they did was right it never would have been amended to where it is today. It goes to show hat a small group of people get on the phone and send emails it can heavily influence what happens. I don't care if they are democrat or republican, they all want to be voted back in or move up in office. They can have their pockets lined with money from lobbyist but in the end if there is pressure from the people they will cave.

Beach Leo

Way-Good
Mar 6, 2011
Mt Shasta & Mt Diablo
If they really wanted to make a difference and save many lives it very simple. Have it Law so that any-thing with wheels on it you have to wear a Helmet at all times. There are so many head injury's and deaths in cars the numbers are staggering. This half A$$ Crap with all the loop-holes is B.S.

It needs to be Fair.

That would be Fair.

Every-one no matter the Car, Truck what-ever wear a Helmet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000