UTV driver on Ford's Octane Academy Season2

JCCBURT

Dec 7, 2012
Los Angeles
thanks Fellas!

for the car, I am thinking diesel F-550 4x4 chassis cab and making a toy hauler/sleeper out of the back for the UTV... found a guy that will make me something badass for around 5k...

or... a GT500... the 662hp # is eating at me...:rockon

I have a 95 Bronco with front and rear lockers that I love and will never replace... ok maybe someday I'll build a 78... but I have no need for the raptor... I have the UTV to go fast in the dez when I wanna give rides;-)

Reactions: 1 person

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I stayed away from this thread until I could finish watching the last 2 episodes. I finally just watched them tonite and I wanted to say congrats and great job.

I would take the GT500 if I was you!!!

JCCBURT

Dec 7, 2012
Los Angeles
thanks guys... just keeping my fingers crossed now that whatever I put my 50k towards pays off...

everyone keeps telling me to walk away and go put it down on a house and that just doesn't seem fun :D

right now I am thinking a GRC car, hopefully in time for this years SEMA show...

if it doesn't work I am just going to look stupid and be back where I started, but with a new car... so it could be worse.. lol

LORENZ

Lorenz Industries - UTVUnderground Approved
Feb 11, 2009
Cabover Toter home used. The 550 is cool but a complete money pit if you do it yourself, and $50k won't get you anywhere on a new build.

I have a Cab and Chassis Dodge and need more room. The trailer and truck are maxed out in length.

I've been looking hard for the cabover toter home. Very few of them out there. Length is the killer in CA. 65' max. The cab over saves you 7-10' and its one of a kind classic.

Attachments

JCCBURT

Dec 7, 2012
Los Angeles
Cabover Toter home used. The 550 is cool but a complete money pit if you do it yourself, and $50k won't get you anywhere on a new build.

Length is the killer in CA. 65' max. The cab over saves you 7-10' and its one of a kind classic.
thanks for the info... as a rookie I'm still not aware of all the rules... Still laugh at the days I would do 80 in the carpool lane towing a tiny single axle with two gokarts on it for a season or so till someone saw me on the way back from races and started laughing hystericaly and called me...

The F550 would be free... a cabover toyhauler is what I planned to build... ULTRA SIMPLE and ULTRA light design... just a matress with windows in cabover... windows in back... one fold down table(doubles as second bed with blowup matress)... walk on roof... ac...

below I want a generator and fresh water storage w/pump for high pressure washing...

Quoted 5k for the box w/ windows and lower storage boxes for gen and water etc...:D

I think I would just start with the generator for dez season... do AC next summer etc...

So lets call it 7k is what it would cost me...to have this on the back of a free f550 diesel 4x4.....

Sounds pretty tempting... no?

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
BTW if I get to spend your dough, we have to do it properly over beers and lobster. I'm putting out for free at this point and feel a little taken advantage of.

JCCBURT

Dec 7, 2012
Los Angeles
BTW if I get to spend your dough, we have to do it properly over beers and lobster. I'm putting out for free at this point and feel a little taken advantage of.
where you be from, Maine...? I live down in the Tacos and Tequila region ;-P

As for the prize its 50K credit at any dealership of choice to be exact... :DAND:D $50k cash :cool:

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
Damn, $100k pay day... Congrats. Taxes are going to be $35,000

That credit at a dealership is definitely something to ponder. I hate buying vehicles new, even if it was free money.

Here's the biggest baddest thing you could do with a F550. I just don't see them as very practical being so heavy. I cut the weight down to a Dodge Cab and Chassis 3500 with a Lance Camper and it great for us guys who follow the race series. We run a lot of hiway miles. If you wanted the off road capability I'd recommend something lighter like a F350 Dually coverted to a Single Rear wheel drive and grab an XP Camper.

http://earthroamer.com/model-overview/

http://www.xpcamper.com/

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
3500 with a Lance Camper. $10-$25k I got mine new for $25k. Somewhat off road able, great in the Hwy chasing the Race Series of your choice, we run the Lucas Regionals. I can run Fire roads with the setup but I'm kind if worried about the camper staying together with prolonged off road.

Attachments

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
Earthroamer... Stupid expensive, more off roadable than my 3500 on a f550 chassis. 150k used to $300k new.

Attachments

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
XP weighs as much as much as my Lance camper, lower center of gravity like the Outfitter pop up camper I used to have. $40k and built to take Off Road. A little less equipped than my Lance, but it runs off diesel. The forced air heater, fridge, water heater, all run off Deisel. This is the unit to be in for long off road expeditions. Solar and Deisel will keep you going for a months. I'd probably use it on a 2500 or 3500 and use the standard lighter truck suspension to my advantage off road. Lighter is better.

Basically I'm not retired and my vacations last a month or two at most and are usually on the Hwy going to Yellowstone, Canada, Montana and The western US. I'm a dreamer and don't think I can use this camper to its potential at this time in my life. I'm still going to the factory this month though. I want to meet the owner and drool a little.

Attachments

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
For the $7k your looking at putting into a custom camper, I think you be better served buying a used Lance camper for $7k, all decked out with a Polar Cub AC and a Honda EU2000 Generator. Stay away from the built in RV propane Genset. They're hard starting, guzzle propane and are loud.

Put a wrap on it and your new truck and you'll look the part of a Pro UTV dork like us. We're in San Diego not Maine.

LORENZ

Feb 11, 2009
Here's one of our 3500 Cab and Chassis Dodge Race Rigs without the camper on it... We look the part.

Attachments

JCCBURT

Dec 7, 2012
Los Angeles
your dodge is badass...

and you're right, if I have to pay $17,000 in taxes for a $50,000 car... I'm not getting a car... Gotta love the GREAT ole USA... I cant even afford to be given a car...

been up since 4 am pacing wanting to knock someones face in...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000