2012 King Of The Hammers UTV Race Announced!

Brian B

Red Rotax - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Yes. UTV's race Thursday Corry. Its absolutely awesome out there. I have been to hundreds of different types of racing events in my life, and non compares to watching the Ultra 4 race on Friday. You can easily chase the leaders, and be back to the winners circle for the top finishers! So bad ass!

megonzo

Jan 25, 2011
Cedar City, UT
Last year my pre-run consisted of about 2 hrs. This year we are going to take our sweet time.

I blew all confidence at the road crossing when I almost flipped @ about 57 mph. Not good, and seriously, that is what can happen if you don't pre run..:mad:
:p..and the best, looking at all the ultra 4 cars.

IMO, everyone should show up, if not only to run the race, but to represent the UTV community.

Johnson Valley Rocks!

<grin>

megonzo

Jan 25, 2011
Cedar City, UT
If you think about what it takes to put on an event as epic as the King of Hammer. Then consider are field was only 18 cars... $400.00 is a deal. I am stoked for 2012 :D
Ditto...

We are sponsoring gsxr, and my hubbys first debut. So..as a neophite to the 'sponsoring' thing...it's kinda a shocker. Thank Gawd Monte is such a good (and patient) friend.

If my navigator can't make it, then I'm out of the game. He is truly the best. But Frenchy & Monte have it going on. Slight mods to the xp and the our Canned Ham will make them able to pass contingency. Plus, they are ready to run. Don't understand the 'stock' class. A stock XP will nail a stock 800s or pretty much anything else out there.

My poor purple RZR was flipped this past year..the new cage 'might' need more modifactions...the suspension is in a world of hurt---shocks need revalving, and the arms are pretty tweeked. New skid plates. And of course, the much needed engine mods--the 'class' thing really needs to be figured out.

Oh, and WORD....rummor mill--there will be a Wild Cat running hammers with a 'very good' driver. <grin> Just a rummor.:rolleyes:

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009
Gonna blow by the pack again? :D I don't remember where you were in the pack, but I know I ate someone's red rhino dust. <snicker>. Gone...and not seen again. ;)
Hopefully I can start closer to the front this time. I started second to last and spent roughly thirty minutes parked behind stuck traffic.

Darryl89

Killer Kitty - UTVUnderground Approved
Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
It sounds like the place to be. I'll be there, most likely with my Prowler since I don't think I'll be able to build that Kawi V-4 Unlimited 4 with 26 inches of travel by then... :D

So you'll just have to deal with the blue beast...

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
Over on Pirate 4X4, Chuck mentioned something, I think it's a good idea if any of you veteran KOH goers can offer up suggestions and contact the powers to be to get it done...

The UTV race needs a page in the Program with some basics like a course map, a schedule of UTV events, and a list of who's racing. I've tried to watch the UTV race the last few years, but have never been successful as there is very minimal information when you are out on the lake bed w/ no internet.
<!-- / message -->
Maybe it would lend some legitimacy to the UTV Race and help grow spectators for it...

megonzo

Jan 25, 2011
Cedar City, UT
Hopefully I can start closer to the front this time. I started second to last and spent roughly thirty minutes parked behind stuck traffic.
Elvis? or the first little hill? It was as a hoot. :D I booked pretty darn good down Elvis. You blew past me in the dry lake bed, and Damon passed me as well. :) Ate yer dust big time. Good times. (teehee)

I am so looking forward to the hammers. ;)

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Ironically I too am worried about how the class thing will work. Why not just have an open ISA race where any car up to Unlimited 4 can run. Run it all in the same class. How will the start be with multiple classes? If trophy goes to overall then what's the point of classes? All it seems like it will do is reduce payouts by splitting it amongst class winners. If trophy goes to overall then payout should go to top overall finishers all competing in one open class that consists of 5 of the 6 ISA classes with the Unlimited 2 class being the 1 excluded class.

Mike L

Kawasaki Kult Grand Wizard - We HATE Dem Bears
Feb 11, 2009
Riverside, CA
www.lashermotorsports.com
I've had a few different discussions with different people and keep getting different responses. So I will ask it here and take a betting on this subject just like I have been in the ISA threads... LOL

As a past racer or potential racer of the King of the Hammers UTV Race what is more important to you prize money or a win?

Darryl89

Oct 8, 2009
Farmington, NM
I've had a few different discussions with different people and keep getting different responses. So I will ask it here and take a betting on this subject just like I have been in the ISA threads... LOL

As a past racer or potential racer of the King of the Hammers UTV Race what is more important to you prize money or a win?
Most important to me is having lots of fun. If I won a class, cool, if I won the big prize money, awesome. But even if I broke before at the start line, I would still say being part of KOH was worth it...

I think one of the reason's KOH is popular is the community spirit, the commadrie of friends and in general a "run-what-ya-brung within reason" spirit with safety rules attached.

Mike, some Joe Blow from the backwoods that has a RZR or Rhino may know he doesn't stand a chance against Jagged X or Mitch Guthrie, but he still will have fun racing... Jagged X and Mitch Guthrie both won with near stock RZRs...no one could gripe about that. But if they had big dollar machines that no one else could afford to build, then you would've seen lots of griping and bitching.. And the current ISA rules open up that possibility. This year, KOH allowed Brian to run a Rotax motor, but other than that, big swaps weren't allowed if I recall correctly. But now, someone could put in a big 1700cc motor and turbo it if they have the money to build it. Maybe that wouldn't win going over the rocks, but on the dry lake bed it sure would. Point is, make it where someone can come in with a big dollar car and the others will leave...

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
Seems strange that the guy who ran KOH (Jeff) that was so against any rules for the race is now behind adopting multiple classes for the race. :confused:
I have no part in the KOH race what so ever. I like the race, I think its cool. I am part of the ISA, but because of my past relationship with this event I am not involved. If I can offer suggestions on how to make it better I will gladly do that. Hence the reason for the Post on Pirate.

BUT since you called me out I will offer my OPINION.

I field more calls on the subject of KOH then anyone last year in regards to the UTV race. I heard peoples concerns, i heard from Sponsors, I heard from spectators. Here are some bullet points

The KOH UTV race has lost money every year. The entire UTV industry is a fractured mess with no standards. To put it mildly its Anarchy, the wild west, and WW2 all wrapped together. Rules where a mess last year with no UTV sanction to look to for guidance. (Its still a mess, and we now have a sanction people are pissed about.)

I am not speaking for Hammerking, but from experience its a hell of a lot easier to use a set of rules provided by a sanction than attempt to draft your own when you have what hammerking has on its plate. Think about what goes into that event, its massive.

Face the facts. The UTV race is a side show, only the demand will take it from anything less. People are there to see the King of the hammers.

Classes. I wanted to keep it as simple for me as possible when I was event director. One class no rules simple. No investment no return but UTV guys get to come play.

If there are classes more people get to win, but its more work. Someone has to do that work. the ISA has done the work. The rules now allow for classes. Great, now some one has to tech the cars. Mike Lasher is committed to improving the sport, he has worked out a partnership with Hammerking to help improve the UTV race.

People don't want to race against guys they think they can't beat. that is painfully obvious. It appears that classes will increase the car count.

Increase the car count, increase the VALUE of the race.

Increase the Value and it moves from side show to feature.

Seems simple to me.

Jeff Knoll will be enjoying his trip to the Hammers in 2012, not working.

I suggest you guys get in line to kiss Mike Lasher's a$$ because I am guessing the only reason that the UTV race is going to continue is because he took the bull by the horns and offered to make it happen. I would not have been so inclined, and told him he will be heart broken by his effort.( I would not have done it period!)

Don't make assumptions Crowdog on what I am for or against, unless you are talking about money. Rest assured I am for making it, and against losing it.:D

Brian B

Jan 15, 2009

The trophy is most important to me. A trophy should also be presented to each racer on the podium. Last year, the Jagged boys took home the Hammer, as well as 2 other trophy's. Second, and third did not receive one.

One of my sponsors (the title sponsor of this years race) offered me a fair amount of contingency money and I asked to trade it for a trophy. Still havent seen either! hahaha

I'm also going to go ahead and state that I believe the UTV race at KOH should remain one class. And if it doesnt, every single class needs to be in the running for the over-all!

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
if it is set up right and a timed race like baja all classes are in contension for the overall because its based of how fast you can get through the course. but having the classes will allow the low buck entries a chance to win their class and a few bucks for their effort making it reasonable to enter. but i will go with jeff on this one i will just hold onto my money and run the course saturday on my own for free if its run what ya brung rules because in the rocks i might do good but will have trouble keeping up with the high power cars in the open desert.

Jeff Knoll

Carrera Performance
Oct 20, 2010
www.isxsa.com
The trophy is most important to me. A trophy should also be presented to each racer on the podium. Last year, the Jagged boys took home the Hammer, as well as 2 other trophy's. Second, and third did not receive one.

One of my sponsors (the title sponsor of this years race) offered me a fair amount of contingency money and I asked to trade it for a trophy. Still havent seen either! hahaha

I'm also going to go ahead and state that I believe the UTV race at KOH should remain one class. And if it doesnt, every single class needs to be in the running for the over-all!
I agree with you every class should be running for that big a$$ trophy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000