Is Cory Sappington and the UTVRA relevant?

george.felix

George
Jan 11, 2015
Houston, Texas
Lacrecia made the class change because she knows she would never win in the Pro class now she gets to say "I won the Mint 400"
I think she went unlimited to make her sponsors happy after all someone has to podium in that class. She can say she's won a lot of races actually. She had to wait an hr for tires at V2R and still pretty decent overall time. She does it w a good team and without beating up every car in her path. Anyone can do what she did if you don't mind a girl kicking your ass every race. ... Lol

Oc1

Apr 21, 2011
I love how you all feel the need to bash Cory. The class is growing at a rapid rate and he needs help. The team has repeatedly asked for teams to come help tech, to come aid Cory in helping this class grow with the demand. NOT ONE of you has done that...you all want to sit pretty with your teams in tech and talk shit and bust Cory's balls. He works his ass off making sure cars are safe and people are following rules that Casey himself helped write. Again not ONE of you is ever in tech helping! He loves this sport, he loves the teams, and you all know that if you walked into a Desert Toyz pit and needed something they would help if they could. OH and about the Can Am remark...Hello ignorant fools Can Am backs him. Of course he will stand by his machine...you all stand by yours don't you? Stop sitting around after every race bitching and moaning and actually offer your help, arrange a meeting for UTV teams, be productive for a change.
1. Everybody readily admits that Cory has done a lot for the sport. The problem is having one person making all the decisions. Even if he has the purest heart in the universe the fact that he is sponsored by Can-Am, and makes the rules in a class he races, is a conflict of interest. A committee of racers solves that issue. I don't think anybody has a problem with him being on the committee.
2. When has he asked for help? My team or myself have never been asked. If he has posted asking for help on a forum I haven't seen it. I know I never got a call, email, or even a casual we can use help when I'm rolling thru tech.
3. I imagine just about any team has the same help policy. I know I have helped countless people when I run pits for other desert teams and my crew all help when they can. I in turn have been helped. Its kind of what we do as a racing community.
4. The only ignorant fool is not being able to see that there is a problem and that we need to evolve to keep from hurting the class.

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
this bitching thing is out of control i dont even know who most of you are so If you really want to have a voice post up you race car number in your signature and what manufacture and model of race car it is you race in BITD and Score and what your job is with the team ..IE team owner, driver , builder, navigator, pit crew or if your just some guy in china trying to up his post count before slinging me more penis enlargement pills ............

I think everybody is bitching about rule changes that Cory is planning on changing befor the next season but when he changes them mid season you all bitch too so befor you hang the poor fucker give him a call its not like after letting the cant am turbos race he cant change the rules again mid season id have my attorney so far up BITD ass id have a fleet of new race cars ... so stop bitching

tire size changes are in the works
new class or classification in the works
new possible starting drawing order in the works
new new new so let him and Bill total up the racers opinions from the V2R meeting

jaggedx

Jagged X - Official UTVUnderground Sponsor
Jan 14, 2010
www.jaggedx.com
this bitching thing is out of control i dont even know who most of you are so If you really want to have a voice post up you race car number in your signature and what manufacture and model of race car it is you race in BITD and Score and what your job is with the team ..IE team owner, driver , builder, navigator, pit crew or if your just some guy in china trying to up his post count before slinging me more penis enlargement pills ............

I think everybody is bitching about rule changes that Cory is planning on changing befor the next season but when he changes them mid season you all bitch too so befor you hang the poor fucker give him a call its not like after letting the cant am turbos race he cant change the rules again mid season id have my attorney so far up BITD ass id have a fleet of new race cars ... so stop bitching

tire size changes are in the works
new class or classification in the works
new possible starting drawing order in the works
new new new so let him and Bill total up the racers opinions from the V2R meeting
You use penis enlargement pills? Didn't expect that

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
2014 Rookie Season
1st Race SS 300 we finished 7th
3 Broken Belts and 3 Flat Tires

2nd Race Baja 500 we Finished 4th
No Fuel at Race Mile 160 Had to go to the full serve gas station in town to Fill up, 1 Flat Tire, and 1 broken front hub and a-arm uniball had to be replaced during race

3rd Race Vegas To Reno we Finished 5th
1 axle swap due to tore cv boot, 1 Broken Axle, 2 Flat Tires

4th Race Rigid Desert Challenge we Finished 2nd
No Problems

5th Race Bluewater Desert Challenge DNF
Hit a large wash and put the car on its side but back in the race fast and then lost a wheel bearing in the infield and we where out of the race

6th Race Baja 1000 we Finished 1st ..... woohooo yep 1st
1 Broken Belt, 3 Broken Heim Joints

7th Race Henderson DNF
Hit a Big ass rock = 1 Flat Tire then Broke a Axle and it took out our brake line ...

Race # 8 Parker 250 1st Place

Race # 9 San Felipe Baja 250 2nd Place

Race # 10 UTV World Championship 4th Place

Race # 11 Mint 400 18th Place lol Lead Most of the Race Broken Transmission 8 Miles From Finish Line 18th Place Finish

Race # 12 Baja Sur 500 3rd Place Co Driver Branden Sims

Race #13 Best in The Desert Silver State 300 Started 31st Finished 2 Place

Race #14 Baja 500 200 Miles Transmission Drian Plug Came out DNF

Race #15 Vegas To Reno 540 Miles 5th Place in Turbo RZR

I did learn the stuff works great for top fives so I take one befor every race and chug it down with that Talent water you gave me last year

UTVMike24

UTV RACER
Jun 11, 2013
Henderson Nevada
Here is my opinion as a BITD,WORCS,SNORE,AZOP...Driver,Co Dawg,Pit crew,Team Owner...BITD has some issues to work out with us SXS's growing in its series.#1 Tech and following the current rules and not changing rules in mid stream.Im sorry if you show up Not race ready go home !! Also we need to decide as a group how the classes should be.And soon since some of us are building new cars or already have..
Also BITD needs to work out the whole pit situation and not allow Big Teams to take up all of the already small pit areas.Also they need Real pit captains at each pit way to many Violations of Safety and other issues.Like at V2R Case trucks driving on course..
As for Cory he has been fair over the years to SXS i have been involved in.And we have had some issues with his group..As for UTVRA it has never really been anything !! So he needs to make it a real racing association ! Or we need a new SXS association...

Even other Racing series like WORCS and SNORE have listened to the racers lately, to make changes in the right direction for the better of most racers...Not just a select few...

racer570

Apr 10, 2012
houston ms
Joey, how do you expect us (racers) as individuals , to make something happen. All that can be done, is call Cory, or maybe Cassey (which I truely think that he does not give a crap), and voice our opinion. Cory has already said that nothing is going to change.

dezerteryx

Jun 13, 2010
san marcos
Go above him to bitd. If you guys go as a group and say your not go to race unless the process changes than they will take action.

the stripping shop

RACER - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 29, 2009
peoria,Az
www.strippingshop.com
All I hear is a lot of talk.. but will the class actually do something or just complain? You either get together now or just take your direction and pipe down!
Maybe we should see how the bitd committee is or is casey the same judge, jury, executioner too. Did anybody ever think they don't want want a group or person bigger then casey?

Ratoutahell

Sep 21, 2014
Western Colorado
When do the rules come out for 2016 PRO UTV? We are mid build and want to know when to panic...
I would think your best bet is to contact Cory directly:

-per BITD rule book-

Please contact the class representative Cory Sappington at 602-769-6164 or email at
[email protected] with any questions or for more information on these rules.

The only other thing you would have to panic about is if he is "voted" out.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
All I hear is a lot of talk.. but will the class actually do something or just complain? You either get together now or just take your direction and pipe down!
Exactly! Step up or Shut up! My bet is they all shut up.

Joey, how do you expect us (racers) as individuals , to make something happen. All that can be done, is call Cory, or maybe Cassey (which I truely think that he does not give a crap), and voice our opinion. Cory has already said that nothing is going to change.
It's easy! First off you all get in contact with each other. Should not be hard, start PM'img each other for phone #'s, and then start sharing phone #'s with others who might not be on here. Then when you get 20 - 25 regulars who race every race you all ban together and you go directly to Casey Folks, and tell him you want a change.

(You better have a plan though as Casey is not going to have one off the top of his head.)

You can even get everyone to sign a letter, so for those who cant go in person they can still show support and have a voice, and show Casey there is more then a few demanding change. This letter could be posted on the forums, and sent to people like Mad Media as they promote the Mint 400 which is run by BITD. Send it to everyone.

You tell Casey you want BITD to start tech inspecting UTV's like they do with all other classes. You tell Casey you feel having someone not just Cory that is a racer with or without manufacture sponsorship, that they should not be tech'ing and in charge of making & enforcing rules as it is a huge "Conflict or Interest". And ethics can and have been thrown into question in the past. Then ask Casey if any other class has tech and rule enforcement run by someone who races in the same class? So why does the UTV class? Tell Casey you appreciate what Corey has done for the class and sport, but as this class has grown into one if not the largest classes in BITD that you feel its time this class is run by the series and not a single person. You also tell Casey that the Racers want a UTV committee that is outside of BITD & Score and that this committee will be a panal that is voted in by the racers and its this committee that will speak and work with BITD & Score to evaluate the rules and health of the UTV class.

Now when Casey say's this is not going to happen guys! You better be prepared to have an ultimatum and you better tell him and stick with it to show him you will not let your class be run by one person and jeopardize your investment in the sport. Your threat could be to Boycott the next race, it could be that you will enter in the Sportsmen Buggy class where Cory has no Jurisdiction.

Also I think anyone with some form of sponsorship either with a manufacture or with a reputable parts supplier (Like Lone Star) you have them call or e-mail Casey and tell him that they support their racers and if he does not consider their demands, that they will no longer support teams running in his series. That they will request that their sponsored teams either race Score or even some SNORE races.

This is how the individual teams do it! You network behind the scenes and you Ban together!

Or you can come on here and bitch for a week after a race and then go radio silence until the next race like you all have for the past year.

Last edited:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It starts with a small group of dedicated individuals to first meet, discuss a plan, then present it to the racers who will either agree in majority or not. From there you move forward. Worst case is no one wants a change and Cory remains judge, jury all while remaining your competitor.

I'm surprised a thread hasn't started by someone who wants to kick start a class committee.

IF I was willing to head this up here is what I would do (roughly):

1. Decide if I am willing to dedicate time to helping the cause.
2. Start a thread here and / or reach out directly to influential people involved in the class to see if they want to help establish a committee.
3. Set up a meeting / conference call and discuss what the group thinks is the best action.
4. Present the ideas and actions to the class prior to the start of the next race.
5. Once class decides on what they want to do, you then take that plan and present it to Casey and Cory.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Maybe we should see how the bitd committee is or is casey the same judge, jury, executioner too. Did anybody ever think they don't want want a group or person bigger then casey?
This group does not become bigger than Casey. Casey doesn't have time to keep up with the class and its evolution nor does he want to keep up and that right there is why he has yielded to Cory and his opinions and direction.

So either 1. you let Cory keep doing what he is doing representing everyone or 2. the class tells Casey that we don't want it that way anymore and here is how we plan to replace him so that BITD doesn't skip a beat.

The class needs to remember they hold strength in numbers. If Casey hears the optional plan and tells everyone to pound sand then you kind of know where you stand.....

I would say that most guys here just want to race. They know the problems with Cory but they just deal with it because they don't want to ruffle feathers and potentially spoil anything. These same guys love to point out the issues but don't care enough to really do anything about it. That is a problem IMO but I do get it. I don't have time to want to sit on a board. I would offer input and possibly involve myself in meetings but I don't want to be a bad guy. I have enough on my plate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bret901

badassmav

Jun 11, 2013
Jamul
I would think when complaining to Cory, about Cory, it would be more convincing to send it via USPS certified return receipt, and also notarize the contents. Based on what JL@Cognito said Cory told him, nobody is complaining about the rules to him. D
Besides, documentation of your complaints will be a surefire way to hold Cory's feet to the fire when approaching Casey about Cory's handling of your complaints/concerns. It's been getting rather slanderous around here, so best protect yourselves. Stripping a man of his livelihood based on hearsay is definite grounds for litigation.

Reactions: facteryfmf

COGNITO

Cognito Motorsports - Official UTVUnderground Spon
Apr 30, 2009
So apparently I need to try and be more clear about what I am trying to say..... There's obviously some kinda haters club out there and I'm not any part of that. Cory has dedicated years of hard work, volunteering, and money out of pocket to help create this class into what it is today. Like the post was trying to say earlier there is no "dictatorship" here and the class and rules are created from the class. When I race another sanction group they don't check much and I could probably run 35's through tech without someone batting an eye. We have a separate utv tech with bitd that actually takes the time and effort. Personally I cant thank Cory enough for convincing Casey to get him race that Rhino ten years ago and all the time he has spent with the ever changing class to try and keep it a good fair fight on the track.
is your new build a turbo?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000