Lets Talk!!!“THE LONGEST OFF-ROAD RACE IN THE UNITED STATESâ€

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I would IRON MAN it.

Being in the race car is like being with a women, you don't want to share and you can't stop till it's over!!!!

I'm so country... I'm my own damn cousin.

BiggJim

I Hate Rules - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Bakersfield
Haha I do see your point, I'll come back with I simply don't have enough people on my "team" to allow me to not iron man it. My one team member is racing his first BITD race at V2R. My main prep guy will be riding the full distance with me, and that leaves my dad and 1 other guy for pit crew.
Just to be clear I understand being short handed, I was just trying to point out that its not only "your" effort to get you there.

I hate to see someone throw all my hard work and efforts away!
This is the Phrase i was honing in on...IMO not really the way to look at things, Your "Team" is what gets you to the end, Your team can make a mistake also to cost you the race.....So i guess the point I am trying to make is You have a team effort so its really not "someone" throwing all your hard work away.

Solo'ing V2R is very do able. Is it smart? Maybe, maybe not. Its only approx 540 miles this year which is about 100 more then this years Baja 500. But the terrain & crew logistics make this race much easier IMO then a Baja race. Casey makes it where two trucks can support you the whole race. I've seen guys pitting out of a station wagon before!

Now Solo'ing a Baja 1000 in a UTV sounds impressive and courageous, but not smart in my book. Sure its the true David & Goliath story, and if finishing is your goal, then go big! If you want to win be smart and surround yourself with people who can get the team a victory.

I have yet to see in anything but maybe TT & class 1 where a solo effort has brought a better result then having a teammate. If you say "I hate to see someone throw all my hard work away" then you have just not found the right teammate. Look at it from the other side. "I hate to see arrogance in a driver throw it all away, as he is not willing to know the gains of having a real crew or support driver can offer his efforts.

You can be in great physical shape but the fact is, its the mental exhaustion that gets you. There is no way a driver who has been in the seat for 10 + hours strait can and will be as mentally focused and have the reaction time of a driver of equal skill with only 2 hours of seat time.

And I have heard the story, and reasons for keeping a tired driver in the seat. "The car is tired and he knows how far to push it." A fresh driver will run it into the ground". I say an inexperienced driver or driver not fit for your team might. But if you get someone with experience who understands the car, and the feel of the car he will adapt to the handing or lack there of, and only push it as far as the car will allow.

A teammate is not something you place a craigslist ad for or make some sort of financial deal with. Like you pay for half of the costs and you get the car for half the race. If you own a car and are looking to win, you build a team that can win. I have seen lots of guys team up due to cost, but typically they know each other, have been competitors of each others, and know each others driving styles. Like this year's 500 with Johnny & Brain teamed up. They knew each other and knew what to expect from each other. So in their case a one race teammate deal worked.
I agree, solo'ing it is very do-able. Can you stay sharp in 550 miles....I don't think so. I think there is a lot to be had by doing a short burst, then with fresh driver/co-driver another short burst.

However.....if you dont have the manpower...you dont have it. We did the Baja 500 with a total of 7 guys, if we would have had a major incident mechanically on the back 9...there would have only been 2 of us to work on the car. 2 guys in your pits BLOW, you cant get a thorough look over with 2 guys and be efficient.

SimsMotorsports

Factory Polaris #1913
Feb 1, 2009
Prescott Valley
Thanks Jim, and you are 100% correct. Without my team there would be no racing for me. Sometimes I tend to overlook the most important assets that I have. The car and driver are only as good as the crew taking care of it. I was looking at it the wrong way and I do appreciate you reminding me what is important.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
Thanks Jim, and you are 100% correct. Without my team there would be no racing for me. Sometimes I tend to overlook the most important assets that I have. The car and driver are only as good as the crew taking care of it. I was looking at it the wrong way and I do appreciate you reminding me what is important.
My crew sucked. One was a camera man and the other two were driver/co dawg! :eek: :eek:

Haha. Jk. They changed a front axle pretty quick before getting into the car!! I then became the fuel guy while they were buckling in. it would have been nice to have at least one more guy in the chase truck though.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Your phone wasnt busted but our tracker didnt work and that's about the worst thing that could happen to a car in Baja let me tell you.
Rookie!! LOL! If not having a working tracker is the worst, then you would not have liked to race when you taped a map to the roof of the car for reference, when "Stuck Stubs" was how you passed on info that you were broke or out of the race. When your crew had to calculate your arrival time, and what cars you were racing around as a reference as to when you might be coming. When there were no speed limits on the highways and you passed traffic like they were standing still! BTW that was so dangerous, but it was awesome! I thought I was spoiled when we had a GPS. The locals could change all the markers they wanted too! I knew where I was going.

Imagine racing the Baja 500 only using your prerun notes, a copy of the map and the Score markers & ribbons that were typically gone by the time the slower classes got there. That's hard core! With all the technology at our disposal, it has changed the much of the mystique of Baja. You don't hear about guys sleeping out with a broke car anymore. You dont hear the stories Ivan used to tell about running down some lights only to find out you have been going the wrong direction for 30-50 miles.

Personally I liked not having trackers. Yes not being tracked gave the locals a huge advantage, but it also allowed you to do your homework and find that line a 1/8th of a mile over that very few knew of.

True story as I remember it: Walker Evans was racing class 8. The race was the Baja 1000 and it was a point to point race. Way, way down South there were these sit beds that went on for miles that paralleled the coast. Walker knew these silt beds were going to be a huge issue, and he did his homework. He had an idea what time he would be in in that area and he checked the tide reports. He knew if he could get there within a certain time he could drop down the cliffs and run the beach for miles bypassing all the silt beds. But if he timed it wrong the tide would come in and there was no way out. Well he pulled it off and made up huge time on his competitors as he was able to run wide open and the wet sands. Pretty cool!

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
I agree 110% with your statement but when you're racing two people and you give one person a GPS and the other doesn't, you can really say one has am advantage. I believe this is similar with a working tracker.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
One of these years I'm going to Ironman this race in my SR1.....:D

Seriously. Just need a spare tire holder......;)

Johnny

UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 15, 2009
Mesa Arizona
Just found out I wont be racing this race ... you guys just caught a lucky break ... did one of you guys pay off my Doctor ? :confused:

Kalop

XP900
May 3, 2013
Just found out I wont be racing this race ... you guys just caught a lucky break ... did one of you guys pay off my Doctor ? :confused:
WTF ??? Hope your ok (going to be ok)... gotta put health before hobby.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Here are my 'top tips,' Tony Teller style...

Brandon Schueler....3:2, has a new untested hot rod, but has won 5 of the last 6 BITD races.

Justin Lambert...3:1, coming off of a strong SS300 win and top 3 at the Baja 500.

Derrek Murray...4:1, always fast and long car will work well in fast race.

Branden Simms...6:1, fast but will need luck.

Johnny Angal...10:1, good racer but V2R is a BIG race!

Marc Burnett...6:1, car has been totally used up at recent races, can his luck hold out?

Craig Scanlon...7:1, getting faster every race. Needs a clean run.

Cory Sappington...9:1, no one has more experience.

Who am I missing that could podium? IMHO...this race will take a clean run and zero belt issues. If you blow a belt...you lose!

Ignore Amos

Jan 14, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Johnny is out...back issues...unless he makes a miracluous recovery, but you never know.. We came in 6th or 7th I think last year..and that was with a blown clutch that took us down for 2 hours- hope to bring our new car out- which should be fast, but a new car means new problems.. and IF we do get it there- it wont be tested by any means. We always find something to struggle with which comes down to lack of preparation etc..Have to agree with you Matt..all solid picks.

Bajaxp

SXS Racer Extraordinaire - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 21, 2010
OC
Ok...Lansky 9:1, needs a s m o o t h run and he could surprise.

Holz...I would say 2:1 and maybe a 'top tip.' They just need to keep a belt in 'er and not over drive it. But Brandon has their number.

Who else am I missing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000