2000 to 2999 lbs. 1.75" x .120" 1.5" x .120"
3000 to 3999 lbs. 2" x .120" 1.75" x .120"
4000 pounds and over 2.25" x .120" 2” x .120"

Note:
See manufacturer’s’ reference charts for alloy steel
tubing equivalent strengths. No aluminum or other nonferrous
materials are permitted.

Material :

Rollcage construction material may be crew, dom, whr, wcr mild carbon steel or 4130 chromoly.

UTVRA HIGHLY RECOMMENDS THE USE OF 4130 CROMOLY or 1018/1012/ASTM/DOM.

All welds must be of high quality and craftsmanship with good penetration and with no undercutting
of parent material. Stress relieve all welded intersections by flame annealing.

Rollcage Design
All rollcages must be designed and constructed with one front vertical hoop, one rear vertical hoop, two
interconnecting top bars, two rear down braces, one diagonal brace and all necessary gussets. The two
top interconnecting bars must be placed as far to the outside of the top part of the front and rear hoops
as possible. Rear down braces and diagonal brace must angle a minimum of 30 degrees from vertical.
At the bottom of the diagonal brace there must be a cross member of the same tubing material and
dimensions as the hoop. All rollcage components (hoops, braces, gussets, etc.) must have a minimum
of 3-inch clearance from the component to the vehicle occupant’s helmets when occupants are seated in
their normal riding positions. All portions of the roll bar or bracing that might come into contact with
the vehicle occupant’s helmets must be padded.
Rollcages must be securely mounted to the frame or body. All intersecting points must be gusseted and
braced. Cab or body mounted rollcages must be bolted through the body structure and be attached by
use of a minimum two 0.1875-inch thick doubler plates (one on each side of body structure). Bolts and
nuts must be at least 0.375-inch-diameter s.a.e. Grade 8 or equivalent aircraft quality. Welding of cab
or body mounted rollcages to body structure is strictly prohibited. Rollcage terminal ends must be
attached to a frame or body member that will support maximum impact and not shear or allow more
than 1.5 inches of movement in the cage terminal end.
All vehicles including those with stock steel doors must have at least one side bar on each side of
vehicle that will protect occupants from side impact. The side bars must be of the same tubing material
and dimensions as the rest of the rollcage. The side bars must be as close to parallel to the ground as
possible, be located to provide maximum protection to the occupants, and be securely welded to the
front and rear hoops. The location of the sidebars must not cause difficulty in entering or exiting the
vehicle.
Gussets constructed of 0.125-inch x 3-inch x 3-inch flat-plate or split, formed and welded cornertubing,
or tubing-gussets made of the same material and thickness as the rollcage may be used. Gussets
must be installed at all major intersections, including diagonal and rear down braces, where single weld
fractures can affect occupants’ safety.

Restricted:
Oxy-acetylene brazing on rollcage is strictly forbidden.
Recommended:
4130 chromoly is highly recommended for all rollcage construction.

RZRS EDGE RACING

Sharp As A RZR - UTVUnderground Approved
Nov 23, 2009
Arizona
alot rules in BITD, think rule book last time I looked about 30 pages...safety safety. By far the best rule book I have seen for UTV's

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
Im building my chassis and have a quick question. How much wider than stock are you guys going behind the seats? In this picture ive circled the the tube that I need to install next. This tube will obviously determine the entire width so I want to get it right. I dont have my seats yet so I cant use them to measure. Is 6" wider on each side enough? Thanks again!

Attachments

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
Prolly go with some prp's. But if doing it now limits my choices thats fine. Im just at a standstill until I get that tube in place and my cash is wrapped up in tubing right now so it will be a minute before I buy seats. Maybe you can tell me what seat your running in your rhino and how much wider than stock you are?

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
seats are one of the very first things you should have to set it up correctly. call a local vendor and see if you can borrow a seat for mock up.

you should have seats, fuel cell, suspension, and drivetrain in hand before starting a big project like that. it will make fabrication much easier.

freeridemxatv

paging dr. faggot
Sep 7, 2009
salt lake city, utah
seats are one of the very first things you should have to set it up correctly. call a local vendor and see if you can borrow a seat for mock up.

you should have seats, fuel cell, suspension, and drivetrain in hand before starting a big project like that. it will make fabrication much easier.

I have been considering keeping the stock seat location for now but Since im doing it I figure I might aswell make it wider for comfort and to have the ability to drop seats in the future. And my longtravel kit should be here this week. I have the main hoops, rear bumper and roof bracing done so this is my next step.

07fj

Rainman - UTVUnderground Approved
Jan 19, 2009
Tonopah, Az
no set number for width really, it is preference and what fits, and yes get your seats and motor in place also peddles and steering, then do the outside bars

deviant_illusion

go to the UTVUnderground where there is cool SHIAT
Feb 4, 2009
WVC, UT
Hows the project coming? Did you get your suspension on or any more work on the cage? Post up some pics if ya get a chance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000