Can Am Monster Maveric Wins Baja 500

BrianReno

Aug 19, 2012
Reno, NV
BrianReno you won't get kicked off Joey D is a pretty fair guy and it really takes allot to get the boot. When polaris is paying for media they have to follow the customer request were just lucky the class gets the coverage it does. If someone like CBS or ESPN was paying then you would see a full unbiased report.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I understand that and we have actually had the discussion about other companies specifically Can-Am stepping up in the media department. Like I stated there is a fine line there that when the tide turns what happens? Can-Am racers all over the country are now doing very well and only time will tell when there are even numbers when it comes to manufactures entered into each of the race series.

I heard a couple years back that due to the Can-Am teams stepping up and performing so well that it increased funding in the Polaris teams. A recent behind the doors meeting that a certain $$$$$ offer was put on the table to ensure that a podium sweep like what happened at the Imperial Valley 250 will not happen again.

I don't think and I hope most of you don't think that all the new teams racing in Baja this weekend weren't just a coincidence. I figure there were 3 maybe 4 teams racing the 500 that were Polaris backed $$ that weren't racing the 500 till a few weeks maybe a month ago.

sand shark

Mar 30, 2009
West Hills, CA
Awesome race for them. Since Can Am mavericks have only been on the scene since 2013 and they are Dominating racing circuits now across the country there Racing presence will be felt all over as more people realize how great a machine they really are. Polaris will no longer be the King of the Hill now that there is competition other than a Tyrex. Or Rhino. Lol if you called those competitor's. Hehe. The Domination for Polaris is over.

It is a great win by a great driver. So once the XPK1 has been on the racing scene for year, do you think the domination of Can Am will be over? just busting your balls! :D

I really enjoyed tracking the race and it makes if more fun when you have different manufactures battling it out.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
You fellas need to remember that this is how Joeywood makes a living. And each and everyone of you are going to to do exactly what he does and go with the people that pay the bills. He must first feed him and his family before he feeds everyone else.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Joey,

You can't say that you like to play devil's advocate, you have to try to play devils advocate and you are walking a fine line with all the Polaris money that get's dumped in your lap.

I'm sure this is going to get me kicked off the site but I'm really hoping to see an honest race report with some action photos of not only Polaris but all the other machines that were entered in the race. Seeing is how Polaris funds all of the things that are going covered it's pretty safe to say that this race report as well as media coverage (photos and video) will be based around the factory supported Polaris teams and will only highlight some of the other teams those being mostly Polaris as well.

It would be great to see a true un-biased forum but when you Joey D. are riding co-dawg in one the premiere Polaris Racing rides it's hard to see that changing on this site anytime soon.

I can't wait for the FULL race report...

Give me a FN break!! Go back and read any damn race report I WRITE! I cover everyone fairly and honestly and post ALL photos that the photographers give me. Don't get the PAID Polaris videos confused with my RACE reports. Those are different. I always tell our photographers to shoot ALL UTVs. Not my fault if there are more Polaris images when there are more Polaris' racing.

I take offense when people make stupid comments about my coverage when I know damn well how hard I work at being unbiased and fair. If I am at a race I write a report from where I am standing with the info I have. In the case of this race, I was invited to race with the Jagged X team. I reiterate INVITED. I have been going to Baja for races for over 15 years and finally I had a chance to race. Sorry, I jumped at that opportunity and because of the story I have from Baja the story you will read will be from that standpoint. If you don't like that then I am sorry.
I will however post results, photos and I will give the props where they are do. All of these racers, Murray's, Burnett, Sappington, Jagged, Cognito etc etc etc.. These are all my friends! I am not some random dude sitting behind a key board jerking off Polaris all day because they pay me to do cool shit. If Polaris didn't give me budget do you think I could have a helicopter and 15 guys in Baja filming UTVs?? Polaris steps up and supports not just us but OUR SPORT, we need to ALL respect that and not COMPLAIN about it!

No one else I see, OEM or other competitive media sites like ours are lining up to do this work right now! I'll end my rant with this, if anyone is butt hurt because they don't get enough coverage and want video work from UTVUnderground.com then email me. We can work out the cost and details!

Last edited:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Anything is possible I guess. But Jagged, Cognito, Parks, Sims all have Similar Skills and have raced Baja. The Baja 1000 will also truly prove the Superior Machine I guess. That's where all the Custom Build Fab will Truly Shine.

The XP1k Platform is supposed to be there Top of the Line Culmination of years of testing and building as a Manufacturer. Can Am has 1 year as a sport Machine Period. The Motor Marc was running was a Bone Stock motor. What Im thinking is there gonna go big in the future. If Marc gets some top end speed on that Mav look out... All of the Polaris guys are running hopped up motors and way faster Cars. I cant wait to see the rest of the races now. :cool:

Ehhhhhh jagged engine is stock and so is UTVInc and I think Sims and many many more.

Pretty Sure Corys Maverick engine is stock too? Not sure on the Murray's.

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
You aren't the first person to say that. I too wish with the being a non brand specific site that the coverage of different vehicles was more evenly spread.

This site covers all machines equally with the content we are delivered and which we can afford to create. Polaris just happens to want to pay to have us create more cool stuff. Why is that such an issue. If you want more Can Am content on UTVUG then you guys need to voice it but not point it at me like I am choosing to turn away business from other OEMs in favor of one other one.

facteryfmf

Looking For a Few Good Men - UTVUnderground Approv
Feb 8, 2009
Phoenix
This site covers all machines equally with the content we are delivered and which we can afford to create. Polaris just happens to want to pay to have us create more cool stuff. Why is that such an issue. If you want more Can Am content on UTVUG then you guys need to voice it but not point it at me like I am choosing to turn away business from other OEMs in favor of one other one.
You're having to do quite the amount of defending today :eek:

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
I understand that and we have actually had the discussion about other companies specifically Can-Am stepping up in the media department. Like I stated there is a fine line there that when the tide turns what happens? Can-Am racers all over the country are now doing very well and only time will tell when there are even numbers when it comes to manufactures entered into each of the race series.

I heard a couple years back that due to the Can-Am teams stepping up and performing so well that it increased funding in the Polaris teams. A recent behind the doors meeting that a certain $$$$$ offer was put on the table to ensure that a podium sweep like what happened at the Imperial Valley 250 will not happen again.

I don't think and I hope most of you don't think that all the new teams racing in Baja this weekend weren't just a coincidence. I figure there were 3 maybe 4 teams racing the 500 that were Polaris backed $$ that weren't racing the 500 till a few weeks maybe a month ago.

Actually there were 2 teams, Cognito and Sims that entered that weren't originally planning to earlier on. Jesus, why does all this matter?? So much butt hurt when everyone should be pumped on the class, the coverage it gets, the exposure we are all receiving and the OEMs involvement. Can Am gets love and a lot of it. Keep winning and it will get more. You have to remember Polaris is like 75% of the UTV market so naturally you are going to see a lot more Polaris content all over this industry. But your not seeing it because of favoritism.

mearsman

Nov 2, 2011
It doesn't matter about all that garbage. We all are partial to our own brands. Be that as it may. It was really cool for me to share the experience of following the race online with other guys that share the same passion and intrigue as I do.
Let's all stop being pissy with our forum buddy's and congratulate the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
It doesn't matter about all that garbage. We all are partial to our own brands. Be that as it may. It was really cool for me to share the experience of following the race online with other guys that share the same passion and intrigue as I do.
Let's all stop being pissy with our forum buddy's and congratulate the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total point of my last post!!!

Oh and here is an image of Marc that I paid to have taken!

BrianReno

Aug 19, 2012
Reno, NV
Justin,

I know this is Joey's living and I agree with the fact that this is how he supports his family. I'm just wondering what happens when the 75% that Joey mentioned is at 50% or even lower and Polaris cuts the funding for the videos and coverage??? Hopefully I'm wrong and as we have seen over the last few years the UTV class in all the different series have blown up and continue to do so. It will only get better for all of us and the newer guys getting into it.

Joey,

I apologize for attacking your race coverage write up and I will wait to see the final result when you publish it. The only thing I'm butt hurt about was not being with my team in Mexico this weekend for the race, and that is completely my fault.

As I stated we have had the conversation about getting Can-Am to step up and do more media they did do a little bit but not nearly where they need to be. They are hesitant to do a lot due to past experiences.

sconym

Aug 30, 2012
Give me a FN break!! Go back and read any damn race report I WRITE! I cover everyone fairly and honestly and post ALL photos that the photographers give me. Don't get the PAID Polaris videos confused with my RACE reports. Those are different. I always tell our photographers to shoot ALL UTVs. Not my fault if there are more Polaris images when there are more Polaris' racing.

I take offense when people make stupid comments about my coverage when I know damn well how hard I work at being unbiased and fair. If I am at a race I write a report from where I am standing with the info I have. In the case of this race, I was invited to race with the Jagged X team. I reiterate INVITED. I have been going to Baja for races for over 15 years and finally I had a chance to race. Sorry, I jumped at that opportunity and because of the story I have from Baja the story you will read will be from that standpoint. If you don't like that then I am sorry. I will however post results, photos and I will give the props where they are do. All of these racers, Murray's, Burnett, Sappington, Jagged, Cognito etc etc etc.. These are all my friends! I am not some random dude sitting engine a key board jerking off Polaris all day because they pay me to do cool shit. If Polaris didn't give me budget do you think I could have a helicopter and 15 guys in Baja filming UTVs?? No one else is lining up to kick in cash but I'll end my rant with this, if anyone is butt hurt because they don't get enough coverage and want video work from UTVUnderground.com then email me. We can work out the cost and details!

Where is the like button???

sconym

Aug 30, 2012
You probably read more about the RZR than the Can Am because it is probably a 10-1 ratio on custom builds (race or otherwise) Maybe more Can Am builders need come forward with their builds? We all watched Reid's build, and he is seeming to gets lots of talk on the UG. Not much on the T4 either... But I ain't bitching about it. I know there aren't a ton of them out there....

Beach Leo

Way-Good
Mar 6, 2011
Mt Shasta & Mt Diablo
Congrats to all that raced in the Baja 500

From a true fan point of view

Wish you guys would leave the Drama-stuff on FB

Any-way what a great race and all this other non-since

dampens what all the other racers and there teams accomplished

My hats off to them no-matter who manufacturers, sponsors this truly awesome Race

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
Justin,

I know this is Joey's living and I agree with the fact that this is how he supports his family. I'm just wondering what happens when the 75% that Joey mentioned is at 50% or even lower and Polaris cuts the funding for the videos and coverage??? Hopefully I'm wrong and as we have seen over the last few years the UTV class in all the different series have blown up and continue to do so. It will only get better for all of us and the newer guys getting into it.

Joey,

I apologize for attacking your race coverage write up and I will wait to see the final result when you publish it. The only thing I'm butt hurt about was not being with my team in Mexico this weekend for the race, and that is completely my fault.

As I stated we have had the conversation about getting Can-Am to step up and do more media they did do a little bit but not nearly where they need to be. They are hesitant to do a lot due to past experiences.

If Polaris or anyone else who pays for us to create cool stuff stopped paying because of whatever reason then we just keep doing what we have always done.. Which is work our asses off by attending every race, event and ride we can to take photos and write stories. It was only a couple years ago when no one paid us for anything but banner ads.

FWIW, we did some cool stuff with Can Am last year and we hope to do more.

With that said, why rely solely on Can Am to pay for media? If they won't do it then find the budget from other sponsors!! Marc Burnett has paid to just do his own content in the past.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000