SDR1 Build: Stage I

Wild Earp

50Fifty Racer - UTVUnderground Approved
Well, the R1 is in! Weller did a great job with this kit, and made it remarkably easy to install. I normally let SDR Motorsports do all the heavy lifting with welding and fab work on the car, but after mocking it up on the floor, I decided it looked easy enough to tackle myself. Started at 4 on Friday, expecting to devote a good portion of the weekend to it, but by 9 pm on Friday, it was in, with most of the brackets fully welded, and the cross members tacked it. I couldnt believe it. 5 hours start to finish by myself, and it was in! Thanks again to the Wellers for a great kit. A grinder and a welder were all that was needed.

I only had to cut out one tube, which I was wanting to redo anyways eventually. All the Weller parts were perfect, and the measurements/instructions Jason supplied made it a breeze. I was planning on notching the drivers side plate/motor mount to clear my headers, but after discovering that the location of the shifter was wrong for my center console anyways, I ended up just cutting off the front half of the plate completely. The header should fit easily now, and I will make a mount for the stock shifter on the center console tubing using the part I cut off the motor mount.

Now its time for wiring and plumbing!

RuggedRadios

Official UTVUnderground Communications Sponsor
Jan 20, 2009
Arroyo Grande, CA
www.ruggedradios.com
Its confusing to some haha... all I (PERSONALLY) have only sold my Sinister sand car Yoshi rear end. I still have a race chassis (kinda, lol not much done) and an 05 r1 motor, intake, exhaust, harness etc.

Greg sold his car off as a roller.

I changed my plans and was going to use the Weller kit - not to race but as a dune car to just have fun with.

Wild Earp

Its confusing to some haha... all I (PERSONALLY) have only sold my Sinister sand car Yoshi rear end. I still have a race chassis (kinda, lol not much done) and an 05 r1 motor, intake, exhaust, harness etc.

Greg sold his car off as a roller.

I changed my plans and was going to use the Weller kit - not to race but as a dune car to just have fun with.
Cool, well then I hope you see your kit soon so you can get started!

Wild Earp

Moving along.. Working on Wiring and Plumbing. Doing the harness my self. So far the Neutral sensor is bad, and the Cut Off relay doesnt seem to be working right, but I bypassed it.. Put power to it and turned it over to check everything. So far so good. Just need to finish the fuel pump wiring, and plumb the radiator and it will be ready to fire off...

Reactions: 1 person

Wild Earp

to pull your motor how do you do it? looks good!
The passenger side tube will be removable. I had to cut it to get the motor in. I was planning on making it removeable when I was still running the 660, but ended up not needing to. I can actuall R&R the R1 by my self with a cherry picker, something that was very difficult with the 660.

450grl

The First Lady of SXS - UTVUnderground Approved
Mar 15, 2009
Hey Ben! Jason says to give him a call - he'll help you figure out the 'no spark' thing! :)

megadesertdiesel

Jan 25, 2009
Mesa, AZ
Thanks guys. Fabbed up the shifter and linkage today, wired up the fuel pump (so the ECU controls it), tried to fire it off... No spark :(

start the troubleshooting in the morning. I hate wiring.
i had the same problem and it was my tip over sensor. tear it apart nd see how the pendulum works then hold it in the correct position without it in the little box and start the engine. then take a hot glue gun and tack it in place. next drill a 1/4" hole in the case, slide the switch in and fill the box with hot glue from the 1/4" hole.

i thought for sure i did not have any issues with mine untill i figured out how it works with the wire diagram and a voltage meter.

good luck, dont get discouraged like me and say eff it for a while.

Wild Earp

Thanks guys. Yeah, I already RTVed the tip sensor, but now I'm not sure if I did it right.. I have power at the coils, just don't have a signal from the ecu to fire. I found some info to removethe tip sensor completely, with a inline resistor, so I'm gonna try that in the morning.

If that doesn't do it, I'll hit up Jason for sure. Thanks Corry.

Wild Earp

Figured it out. We have ignition! Sounds mean as hell with straight headers. Now I need to plumb the coolant lines so I can run it for more than a few seconds! Very excited. :)

It wasnt the Tip sensor, not sure exactly what it was, but I grounded the wire that activates the cut off switch differently than I first had it, and got it working. Need to replace the neutral switch, but besides that, everything checks out so far.

Wild Earp

Well, since last week, I made a custom shifter out of my old gas pedal pivot (gotta save money where I can! :) , Did some shifter linkage, but may put a bell crank in the middle to get rid of the unfortunately needed bend in the rod... Moved the battery up to right behind the Gear One steering rack, and put in a new Jaz 4 gal fuel cell up front in place of the old desert 12 Gal rear mount. I still have all the rear mounts though, incase I want to do a long race in the future.

Also got my laser cut stuff that SDR had done for me, and got my CNC pedals mostly hung, Ill finish them off tomorrow, along with the throttle pedal. Im waiting on a throttle cable, but I should be able to finish up the clutch stuff by this weekend. Also need to lengthen 1 header tube by 1/4" (what a pain for 1/4"), and build my exhaust from the collector back to the S&S muffler.

Getting closer on driving this bad boy, just need those rear hubs from Weller! Soon, hopefully, soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000