2016 Wildcat?

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
I heard that RG is designing and building an entirely new platform in house, and that upon its completion and successful testing, it will be turned over to AC where they can begin the process of tooling up for procuction.
Wow that could be one very impressive vehicle.

If i was going to spring for a new wildcat i would probably wait for this version

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
I heard that RG is designing and building an entirely new platform in house, and that upon its completion and successful testing, it will be turned over to AC where they can begin the process of tooling up for procuction.
I believe he did the same thing for Polaris years ago, before his contract ran out. Besides building the first 4 seat RZR, years before Polaris did. A few years back I was at Robby's NC shop and I saw what looked like a UTV covered up. I made a comment about it and it was said it was a Frankenstein that RG had designed for Polaris. What I could see it did not look complete or fully assembled. It was said he was basically given a bunch of Polaris RZR parts to start with and he cut up, modified and built his own parts to make an improved RZR. Who knows if any of that was implemented into the XP1000?

Depending on how much creativity they give Robby, he could make a killer machine. But you then have to figure a way to mass produce them, within a budget and still make them affordable for the masses.

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
You will only get a teaser at the show for what Robby and Todd are working on.

I would expect Z1 engine, King shocks (maybe dual with bypass and coil over in rear), Method race wheels, & maybe a 32" tire.
If RG is designing & building it, I doubt he will use Methods. Why would he when he could tool a 14 or 15 inch Robby wheel with the Arctic Cat lug pattern? Sure Method could approach Arctic Cat, but its going to come down to lowest bid and with RG already in their corner, I'm sure he would have a better chance of building and getting his wheel on the vehicle he has partnered with. Doing so would only put more money in Robby's pocket and not give it to his competitors.

crazywatson

#13 - UTVUnderground Approved
Jul 30, 2009
Redwood City
Hopefully he can teach the cat not to take a dump in the sand.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
I think this new Cat is going to be rad. This may be my next ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sport10

Feb 14, 2015
Cat wants to be a big player and they are moving in a great direction. Send in the spy pics...someone!

SGM4Life

Oct 29, 2009
Valencia,Ca
From the pics and vids in this thread it looks pretty rad! What were some of the problems with the previous cats? I never payed much attention to them.

///Airdam Clutches

Nov 14, 2014
everyone was unhappy about the power. and the clutching. and folks complained about the small details like a bland dash. the early models had a bad engine casting and the majority of them leaked oil. most only a seep that would collect dust. but some actually would drip on the skid plate. the second year they pretty much got rid of the old castings and the oil leaks stopped. the second year they went to TEAM clutches since everyone complained about the clutching being so bad. and realistically i think the TEAM clutch was as bad or worse than the original wet clutch design. the secondary they used is the biggest piece of garbage put on any ATV/SxS on the market. Arctic Cat didnt know better, they just went to TEAM with a price point and TEAM met the budget. Clutching has pretty much always blown in the Wildcats. the power the engine does make cant effectively get to the ground, so its never been great at drag racing, or duning, or rally racing. its pretty much been at the back of the pack in all those categories. everyone blames it on the low power, but really and truly its the clutch. the clutching has always been the biggest hindrance for the wildcat ever since it was first introduced.

i can say without a shadow of a doubt, and i will likely get flamed for this. but the wildcat was, and still has the best suspension on the market. folks that get out of a RZR dont like the power. folks that come from a maverick think its weak, but the suspension on the wildcat is still by far better than any of the others. it will do things that no other machine on the market will do. "if it had more power everyone says" really the newer wildcat X with 90hp is all they ever needed. they needed to do a better clutch setup and they would have been golden. i have a clutch setup for the wildcat that will absolutely un-tame it and make it a brawling beast. turns the wildcat X into an amazing duner, drag racer, and makes its little 90hp out run all of the big dogs. it will absolutely embarass a 110hp RZR1000 in every shape form and fashion after the clutch install. but Arctic cat was too stupid to look past a price point and went with an inferior clutch setup and watered down their beast. everyone wants more power, thinking power is what wins races. but really all they needed was a better clutch setup and the wildcat could have overcome all the stigma about how under powered it was.

the machine is a pretty solid runner. folks didnt like it for various reasons. mainly power and oil leaks. the power was due to the crappy clutching. always has been. the arctic cat has the lowest drivetrain loss of any machine on the market. which means they can actually do more, with less.

i dyno every new machine that comes out to find out where they make peak power and how much power they make. on the dyno a :

RZR900-1000 loses about 28-30% of its advertised crank HP to the tire.
Commander and Maverick lose around 25% of its advertised crank HP to the tire
most arctic cats only lose about 15-18% of their advertised crank HP to the tire.

i cant figure it out. there are just as many gears, same bevel gears everyone else runs, just as many 90degree angles for the power to go thru, yet the arctic cats consistently have more power to the tire, and lose less thru the drivetrain than any other machine on the market. we test on a dyno dynamics dyno, and have seen this pattern over and over. the arctic cats are consistently able to get more of their power to the tire. which means the 75hp wildcat that first came out with the wet clutch, i could do clutch work in it, and make it outrun the RZR900 which at the time had 88hp. the new wildcat X that has 90-91hp can outrun the 110hp RZR1000. i am not talking about just in a drag race with a custom drag setup, i mean with a completely balanced clutch setup, that will out power and out dune and everything. the wildcats needed better clutching from day 1. they have plenty of power to run with the big dogs, arctic cat just had it corked up.

the frame and suspension blows everyone else out of the water. the lowest center of gravity, the best feel for what the machine is doing. when the wildcats first came out andrew buck at Buckshot racing got one. the weak 70hp wet clutch style. he did a few suspension tweaks to his and i went duning with him and a big group of his customers in their big buggies he builds. with that wildcat and its weak motor and terrible clutching, andrew was able to make that wildcat just about outrun all those other guys. in big HP sand rails with 30+" of travel. he could corner that wildcat and get a jump on the guys and leave them for a few seconds. he could blast thru things that no other SxS at the time could follow at the speeds he was taking it all. we rode for a solid afternoon and just absolutely ran the snot out of the machine and there was nothing other than a few of his customers rails that could hang with him duning. just absolutely nuts what the wildcat can do with someone who can drive them. they are by far faster than any of the competition simply because the suspension allows you to push harder, with more confidence.

i will say the new turbo XP with its bitchin shocks is a step in the right direction and yes they will conquer the duning scene for the time. a wildcat has never been the king of the hill because they havent had the power (clutching) to even remotely hang with the big boys.

Sport10

Feb 14, 2015
Hearing the NEW Cat is going to be a shake up, way better than most are expecting it to be! Things are going to be good...like i said Cat is coming and will be a force!

jajl22

Jun 5, 2015
If the Yamaha is truly a 60" machine with 12-13" of a-arm travel then i will be taking a hard look in the new Wildcat's direction, especially if they bring that buggy style trailing arm to market with a bit more power and some better clutching.

motive

Jan 12, 2014
Pleasant Grove, UT
I'll back Adam with everything he says about clutching and suspension. Before Redlands Racing started building our RZR1000, Ryan had a wildcat that we ran in a couple BOR Races. There were several xp1000's that were "built" that couldn't hang due to the suspension. The longer shocks with better motion ratios would allow it to push much harder UNTIL you broke something. We could never keep a belt in it, and the Primary exploded once. Every component on the wildcat was undersized compared to polaris (axles, wheel bearings, hubs, differentials) We also had problems with all of those except the differential. The steering rack was funky too and some people had issues with it.

The 4 link in the rear was never an issue so I don't know why they would change it. It was a little complicated but could get great travel numbers without the toe change that is present in the polaris 3 link.

Goodtimes

Jan 17, 2009
Ramona
Awesome, love where this industry is heading. These bad boys will have there own Super Cross series pretty soon, UTV Cross....

Sport10

Feb 14, 2015
I'm thinking these pics are older. If so RG has had these Cats for awhile now! Hope he has something up his sleeve for sunday though.

Rusty5150

UTVUG PHOTOG
Jan 9, 2009
This photo was grabbed from a freeze frame of the big jump. These are new machines with the new rear arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyD23

#utvunderground
Jan 9, 2009
North County San Diego
www.utvunderground.com
If RG is designing & building it, I doubt he will use Methods. Why would he when he could tool a 14 or 15 inch Robby wheel with the Arctic Cat lug pattern? Sure Method could approach Arctic Cat, but its going to come down to lowest bid and with RG already in their corner, I'm sure he would have a better chance of building and getting his wheel on the vehicle he has partnered with. Doing so would only put more money in Robby's pocket and not give it to his competitors.
Are you doubting me?

NIKAL

May 13, 2012
Are you doubting me?
Nope! Anything is possible and you will have more inside info then me. But knowing RG's history, and his business savyness. If he can make money and is already got a foot in the door, he rarely doesn't go for it. Then again maybe he can't meet the demands or price point? But I would assume if Method's Chinese contracted factory's can, so could the one casting RG wheels.

tatum

Hans Solo - 2009 UTV Baja 500 & 1000 Winner - UTVU
Feb 10, 2009
arizona
I co diffuldn't agree more with this statement. In 2013 about 2 weeks before San Felipe we built and raced a Wildcat. It had a mild Muzzy motor with factory replacement HCR suspension components and 2.5 King shocks.
We tested with King at San Felipe and I was amazed how good this car was in the whoops. The car topped out at about 60 mph but would cruise through the power line whoops at 45 mph at 1/2 throttle so we decided that was race pace. Anybody that knows San Felipe knows that it all whoops and I was excited about the race.
On race day we started about 8th and passed everyone in front of us in the first few miles. Me and my co pilot were laughing and enjoying the plush ride to a 20 mile lead by RM 120 when we have heard a banging and got out to find a broken outer cv. We spent about 20 minutes trying to get the CV out of the rear diff but we couldn't so we tied up the axle and kept going to the main pit.
At the main pit we tried getting the axle out and never could so we ended up rebuilding it in the car. After about 45 minutes there we lost the lead to jagged. About 20 miles later we were out of the race due to a plastic engine part.
This same car but with a custom long travel also competed at the 500 and 1000 and was even better in the rough and now turned awesome as well. Cheap sensors and switches kept us in limp mode and combined with a couple hour log jam on the Summit took us out of the 500. We lead the first 400 miles of the 1000 before a water logged radio cost us over an hour trying to find the car in the dark at the pits. We finally got through on a satellite phone and got gas. Eventually a bad rack and 500 lbs of silt in the car cost cost us to much time and we timed out. I firmly believe with some more time and money for R&D this was a championship car.
BTW you have to push in on the axle while pulling out on the cv to release a detent so the axle will come out of the diff. To replace a rack you have to remove the front diff and p/s unit and is a major pain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipebenjamin000